• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler side effect?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you make your own saw blades,chisels, carving tools? I don't using CNC tooling takes a back seat to hand made anything.
For one off items doing it by hand can be a plus. But show me something my hand that can be reproduced thousands of times by hand with zero mistakes? CAD and CNC can do it. Both methods have their place. But our younger generations don't appreciate the value of the hand made. In fact in many cases they'll place a higher value on the machine made. Some day they may discover the importance of the old ways. Once the old farts can see the importance of modern ways.

For one off items doing it by hand can be a plus. But show me something my hand that can be reproduced thousands of times by hand with zero mistakes? CAD and CNC can do it. Both methods have their place. But our younger generations don't appreciate the value of the hand made. In fact in many cases they'll place a higher value on the machine made. Some day they may discover the importance of the old ways. Once the old farts can see the importance of modern ways.
Soon there won’t be all the old farts.

21 pages..........

Amazing.......
I will disagree with Mr. Kibler on one point, he says his guns can not be customized, I think someone with much more skill than myself could inlay some silver bands in the rear of the barrel, engrave the breech area, lock, side plate, top of the butt and muzzle etc. and do some carving and wire inlay on the stock and create a fantastic one of a kind rifle, a Woodsrunner would be my choice for this project.

If I only had the talent!

I'll take quality control and repeatable precision any day. Not everyone is created equal... in skills, talent, and patience. Just because you played high school football does not equate to you being able to demand an NFL team sign you.

I do minor wood-working and fell into a couple dozen Hawken stocks which are factory seconds from TC. I am toying with them to learn more about finishing and fitting. Some are pretty bad but I want to fit out the better ones to be functional.

Either way, a CNC job like Kibler offers is very appealing to me and I would be just as proud to finish a kit to a high degree, regardless of how much inletting and chisel time I put in. I don't have the tools, skills or patience to start with a hunk of wood and I'm OK with that.

So many people b*tch about freedom of choice, well, here you go... like anything, if you don't like it, change the channel... don't buy it, move on and don't degrade people with differing interests and opinions.

I cannot wait to convince the wife that I must absolutely have one of Jim's kits. The minute that 'short' version hits the market, I will buy one. Meantime, I'll keep working on my patience to not put a Woodsrunner in my 'cart'.... yet.
My first was a Hawken built basically from spare parts. The stock, barrel and breach was from Sharon. The stock was a second.
The triggers and lock came from the original L&R. The butt plate and trigger guard were source from a local gunsmith who was supplying them to Sharon. Both he and the L&R were local to me. In fact I helped drill and tap my lock at their location.
I don’t have the rifle anymore. I gave it to a brother in law (now and X) who shoots it matches in SC. That’s been way too many years ago to remember. Suffice it to say the rifle is an antique now.

21 pages..........

Amazing.......
I will disagree with Mr. Kibler on one point, he says his guns can not be customized, I think someone with much more skill than myself could inlay some silver bands in the rear of the barrel, engrave the breech area, lock, side plate, top of the butt and muzzle etc. and do some carving and wire inlay on the stock and create a fantastic one of a kind rifle, a Woodsrunner would be my choice for this project.

He does say he’s left enough to do some carving. And inlays are always possible

kibler is like a new car purchase ; you pick the model , color ( limited choice) , and radio option. Here you pick model , wood , and caliber. If you want stickers or floor mats that something you add later . If you don’t like the options build your own hot rod / gun .

21 pages..........

Amazing.......

I believe he refers to the fact that he produces a basic product. Enhancement is up to the end user.

"Customization" is in the eye of the customizer.

I'd suggest at the very least choices made wrt finishing the stock are a form of customization.

The result of customization is a unique creation that is the expression of the customizer's choices to do things the way that he or she sees best leads to that unique creation.

Kibler kits are suited to this degree of customization.

raw-1226458304.gif

Back