• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Colonial Assembly Timeline

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off your rifle looks amazing, exactly what I have in mind for my colonial build. I have a couple questions though.

1. you browned your lock assembled? Did you sand/file/prep the surface with anything first?
2. Your brass parts look great, what darkener did you use? Also, did you tape off your wood when you darkened the nose cap? Wasn’t sure what the darkener does to wood…
3.Can you detail your final poly finish process?

Thank you!
1. I removed the cock/hammer and would reattach after every few brownings to see what it would look like. I did rub it down with 600 grit sandpaper prior to browning.

2. I used Jax Blackener. I did not tape off the wood at all. I carefully wiped on the Jax in small amounts and relied on the poly to provide protection for the wood.

3. The poly process was quite frustrating. I do high end wood projects very frequently, so I know what to look for with a finish. I used a satin poly I had been using on a project just two weeks prior. It wasn’t drying properly and was very blotchy.

I rubbed the tacky spots back and sanded it down. I found a rub on furniture poly in my cabinet I ended up going with. It turned out MUCH better.

I’m going to guess the poly I had used the first time might’ve been on its last leg

We’re getting closer. Day 5 I ‘blackened’ brass pieces and applied more barrel brown on metal parts. The barrel is really inconsistent yet, so I’m not sure what we’ll do about that. Lock & screws look better. I also prepared the stock for stain by doing a finishing sand and applying two rounds of iron nitrate with blushing. Applied oil (1/2 cup boiled linseed oil with a 5-6 drops of laurel mountain forge honey maple and two drops of cherry - obviously didn’t use it all, but just so you had an idea on ratio) with maroon scotch bright. I think it was 4 rounds of oil. I’m going to make you wait for pictures on the stock though 😉View attachment 95653View attachment 95654View attachment 95655View attachment 95656

That is beautiful, Zutt-man. What was your final grit for sanding the brass? Did you use a Scotch Brite pad on the brass as well as the steel?

Outstanding job. The aqua fortis looks great.

I am about to start my first build. It is a Colonial rifle from Track of the Wolf with a Jim Chambers Siler lock and a 42” swamped barrel from Buckeye Barrels.

That is beautiful, Zutt-man. What was your final grit for sanding the brass? Did you use a Scotch Brite pad on the brass as well as the steel?
Final ‘grit’ for the brass AND steel parts were #000 steel wool. I don’t remember using scotch brite on any of the metal, but did use maroon on the stock

Outstanding job. The aqua fortis looks great.

I am about to start my first build. It is a Colonial rifle from Track of the Wolf with a Jim Chambers Siler lock and a 42” swamped barrel from Buckeye Barrels.
Can’t wait to see pics!

That looks fantastic, nice job. That wood is incredible.

I'm at 6 days since I ordered my Kibler Colonial. I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas.

The Brass patina is the best I've seen, you've aged it superbly, what did you use for the effect and what was the process ?
Just realized I never answered your question. All brass parts I rubbing with the darkener. Rubbed it back with steel wool in areas I didn’t necessarily want the black look, and then repeated 2 more times.

Thank you, is the Darkener a commercial product, or something natural / chemical we can use ?
I’m not sure I can answer this or maybe don’t understand where you’re headed. Had Black Darkener was what I used. Not really sure if it’s make up, but it works great on brass!

Good evening, folks. After a much anticipated wait, my Kibler .58 Colonial showed up this afternoon. I wanted to take time to document the process of how long it takes to actually put a kit together. Some days I have a few hours, some I have 30 minutes. I see a lot of questions on these kits with assembly requirements, so I thought I’d help!

A couple of things to clear up (because I know they'll get asked)
1. I have no experience at gun building, but am familiar with the inner workings of muzzleloader parts and why they work. I do have some tool experience as well.
2. This is extra fancy maple. I am unsure of whether I’ll have carving done at this time, but am aqua fortis stain will look phenomenal on this gun, regardless.
3. I watched all of Kibler’s videos on YouTube 2-3 times ahead of time. I actually had my phone playing during the process as well. Watching ahead of time certainly helped, but I felt like I needed to check up just to make sure I wasn’t screwing anything up. I had also read a book on building flintlocks a month ago to get a better idea on what I was diving into (this isn’t the only gun I’ll be making this year)

Day 1: 3 hours

Fitted & installed the barrel and tang to stock (little wood fitting)
Fitted & attached butt plate to the stock
Filed butt plate edges around patch box
Fitted patch box, & installed catch spring to patch box and installed patch box to stock
Installed lock, side plate and trigger.
Cycled the lock and trigger to make sure everything functions smooth

View attachment 94987View attachment 94988View attachment 94989View attachment 94990View attachment 94991View attachment 94992View attachment 94993View attachment 94995View attachment 94994
Gorgeous wood !!! I have done a couple of tomahawk handles. Bought all of the necessary items from Mr. Kibler. He certainly runs a first class show. Saving now for a Colonial rifle. Thank you for sharing your pictures. Very informative !!!

Back