• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky Pistol, Pecussion and Flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I need Kentucky pistols in percussion and flint and I have been studying the Pedersoli catalog.

The guns I have at this time all have hooked breeches which makes it easy to clean the barrels.

Looking at the pictures of Kentucky pistols they do not have a hooked breech. I assume to clean the percussion pistol you can use one of the flush nipples and tubing to clean the barrel.

My concern is the flint pistol, how do you adequately clean the barrel since you cannot easily take it off? I noticed TOW has a flint lock gun cleaner for White Lightnin, but it says it's for rifles and fowlers with a breech up to 1-7/16". Looking at the pictures in TOW and Pedersoli catalog, I am not sure TOW's cleaner will work.

How do you clean a Kentucky flintlock pistol barrel? Do you take the barrel off each time to clean it?

RDE

I have two CVA Kentuckys, one flint and one percussion. I clean them the same way I do rifles with pinned barrels. I don't remove the barrel. I just run cleaning patches down the barrel until they are clean. For the percussion I remove the nipple and cleanout screw and use pipe cleaners to clean the CVA firing chamber. For both I tie a rag around the stock just in back of the drum or touch hole liner. This catches any goop that comes out and keeps it off the stock.

When cleaning my FL pistols, I plug the vent with a toothpick or whatever is available. Put water and detergent in barrel and slosh it around a few times. Change water and repeat until the water is fairly clean, then run wet patches (pull the vent plug and turn pistol so vent is facing down). Finish up with dry patches and oil. I have a FL cleaning clamp thingy, but each gun is a little different so have to modify so it fits them all some day.

Looking at the picture(s) in the magazine, is the barrel was held in place by the small metal pins, just an assumption on part? If so, I was afraid that removing and putting the pins back would eventually wallow out the hole(s) in the wood.

How are the barrels held in the stock of Kentucky pistols? Is there a screw on the bottom of the stock in the nose piece?

Not having a local store makes it hard and I don't know anyone local to look their pistol.

Thanks

RDE

Those Pedersoli Kentucky pistols are very nice looking indeed. I can see why you'd want one.

I don't have Pedersolis, so I can't speak to them specifically. However, for what it's worth, my CVA Kentucky pistol barrel is held in by a tang screw and two screws through the nose cap; it is very simple and easy to remove - there are no pins through the side of the stock like there appear to be on the Pedersolis. I presume the Pedersolis have the same tang screw/nose cap screws arrangement, plus the barrel pins. My CVA Kentucky rifle barrel is held in the stock in that way: tang screw/nose cap screws/barrel pins. I've had no difficulty with the pins or with repeated removal/reinstallation damaging the holes in the stock. I use a round brass drift punch that is just slightly smaller in diameter than the pin and carefully drive them out. I should think that with care you won't have a problem with the holes in the Pedersoli stock either.

I have a pedersoli flinter. I use the TOW flint cleaning system. You could remove the barrel, but I choose not too.

You're right. The less you remove a pinned in barrel the less wear, and less chance of messing up the stock. I seldom remove my pinned barrels, & I've got a few. I clean just like someone else mentioned: plug the vent w/ a toothpick, rinse it out 'till it's not all black, then use a patch to clean the rest. I put a paper towel over the nipple of caplocks, held by the hammer, & against the vent of flintlocks, held by the frizzen, when I do this. Keeps most of the gunk out. I do pull the nipple & clean inside the bolster w/ a Q-tip. I use a cleaning tube w/ one rifle for a thorough cleaning & keep the vent liner clear for this purpose. Some do not recommend this 'cause they fear the continual removal of the vent liner would cause undue wear. So far I've noticed no problem.

Thanks to all for the information, it is very helpful. I will start shopping now.

Again thanks,

Richard

mykeal said:
...However, for what it's worth, my CVA Kentucky pistol barrel is held in by a tang screw and two screws through the nose cap; it is very simple and easy to remove - there are no pins through the side of the stock like there appear to be on the Pedersolis....

I had forgotten about the screwed on nosecaps. When I built the CVAs I put on shallow nose caps and put in an underlug and pinned the barrels. I forget that stock CVA Kentuckys are really not built like that.

You might also want to get a fouling scraper for your cleaning rod once you know what caliber you will be getting. That way you know that you are getting the corner where the breech plug meets the barrel clean. TOW has a good selection.

Back