• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky pistol from Traditions .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
hello from Germany,

last week I ordered a Kentucky cappistol .45 from Traditions. Any suggestions on these gun? Especially best charges, handling, etc.

Will use it for plinking and "gameover"-shots at the hunt.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I have a CVA kentucky Pistol. My normal charge is 50grs of FFFg .440 ball, lubed patch and a #11 CCI or Remington cap. I have also use musket caps they work well with a gloved hand since there a bit larger and easier to handle. Good luck with your new pistol, your sure to enjoy.

Juggernaut

You might start at about about 30 gr of FFFG. then a .440 ball, pillow ticking and some lube. Works well in mine.

I've got the same gun only in .50 caliber. Only complaint I have is that the handle is too slick/smooth if you use a stiffer load. So I did some homemade checkering on it, not fancy but it is better to grip and the gun does not slip in your hand as bad. Harold

Thinking buying a Ardesa Kentucky pstol.Have a Ardesa Patriot in 45 cal( Tradition Trapper in USA)Think Sportwaffen Schneider have a good price.

I have the .50 cal version that I built from a Traditions kit. I like mine a lot. I usually shoot .490 ball .15 pre lubed patch over 30 grains powder. very accurate out to 50 yards.

I have a .45 that is very happy with 30 gr. FFF. I have read other threads about how hte shorter pistol barrel means a shorter burn time -- larger doses of powder is just a waste.

Same experience as others here. 25-30 grains in my .50 caliber is extremely accurate once I filed half of the sight off. Traditions quit importing anything besides the .50 caliber here to the states. So you all get the .45's and we get the .50's. I guess that's because we are a bigger country :grin:

Hi Ghettogun,

you are right. It is nearly impossible for a german ML shooter to get a ML gun over .45 cal.here. So I import them from the US. My favorite shop is the Log Cabin Shop.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Back