• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kendal Underhammer info ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davy

69 Cal.
Reaction score
ken.jpg

Kendall-1.jpg

I would like to find out more about the Kendal Underhammer ... I think it is a very graceful looking design.

Its an internal spring type action.

Any help would be appreciated. Any help on types of steel to machine a lock (and internals) of this type out of? Also is it better to caseharden a softer steel instead, or is it better to machine something like this out of a harder steel for longer life?

Davy :hmm: :grin:

Almost all your questions are answered in Jeff Baron's neat little book "The Underhammer Rifle",
which gives detailed instruction on building six different locks, including a Hilliard, which
is a kissing cousin to your Kendal. Also gives complete instructions on metals choices and
heat treating. Available from Dixie Gun works for about nine dollars.

Clay
San Jose

Cool .. been contemplatin buying that book from Dixie .. guess I will go ahead and do'er! Thanx brother! :hatsoff:

Davy

Hey, Davy-

To show you how twisted it all can get, I've been thinking about combining the external spring of the Wood or Cook locks with the
separate spring-loaded sear and adjustable trigger of the Gorning lock (from Ned Roberts "The Muzzle-Loading Caplock Rifle")...to
be used against a nipple threaded into the *end* of a percussion drum...with the drum threaded into the bottom of the barrel to
give enough extra depth to fit it into- you guessed it!- a Hawken half-stock, thereby making a Gemmer-Hawken New England Underhammer!
What the heck- Gemmer made every *other* kind of Hawken!

Clay
San Jose

:shocked2:

Yeah I am gonna hafta get that book (Caplock) too I guess!

Davy

Davy

You going to machine this yourself?

12L14 steel machines very well and can be case-hardened.
It can be done on home shop metal working equipment.

That spring setup doesn’t look right to me. Looks like the mainspring is pushing on the hammer stirrup??

Anything underhammerish is good

Tinker2

That rifle is beautiful!

Someday, I will build a rifle from scratch and given my machining skills, it will be an underhammer or something similar. I often sit in committee meetings and doodle plans for my own creation.

Brent

Same here ... my machining skills are nil ... so its info only so far ... but I AM interested in this design. I do not know if that spring is indeed standing on the stirrup or not. I would like to see more drawings or real images to see how its setup and works! :hmm: Thus the pleas for info! :thumbsup:

Davy

I hear you, Davy. My machining skills are about at the same level. Here's a good reference
on the Kimball and Hilliard locks: http://underhammers.blogspot.com/2008/04/hilliard-target-rifle.html .
Apparently they lived close to each other and Hilliard bought out Kimball's shop when the latter retired. The locks
are very similar. Each uses a little moveable link between the mainspring and the tumbler. The one
on the Hilliard is a sort of "H" shaped piece of steel held in place by pressure alone. Good luck
to all!

Clay
San Jose

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I have seen that website .. good info! As far as me building one ... who knows what I mite do when they release me from this asylum! :shocked2: :youcrazy:

But I do like that type of action for some reason! :thumbsup:

Thanx brother!

Davy

I'm with y'all on this one. I'd love to tinker with making some of those, but I know I ain't got those kind of skills. However, I did just get a new .50 barrel for my H&A, that should keep me occupied for a while :grin:

Canerod said:
I'm with y'all on this one. I'd love to tinker with making some of those, but I know I ain't got those kind of skills. However, I did just get a new .50 barrel for my H&A, that should keep me occupied for a while :grin:

Just leave them in the dark, and they seem to multiply! :wink:

My new .58 barrel should be arriving soon.

Yeah, I spent part of today shaping and sanding the forend, then getting the first coat of stain on it. I still have to brown the barrel and solder on the thimbles, but I've been thinking already about making up another barrel set for it. I like the look of this one by Brent Gurtek. Sheet brass is pretty cheap, so I could afford to mess up a time or two on fabbing the rear rod pipe/handguard.
http://underhammerguild.com/underhammers/img/BGFullViewsLarge.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back