• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patchbox cavity photo would be appreciated

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Doing a build with a patchbox I have started making. The pachbox will be this style, with a custom shape to my design. All my previous PBs have been with the hinge at 90 deg to the lid. I am ignorant with respect to how the internals are placed/made for this style. Any inside, historically correct photos of cavity, spring, latch/release would be appreciated.
Larry

g.
Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 9.12.17 AM.png

Rich,
Looks great! Help me out one more time. I do not see a means to make the lid pop up. Is there a coil spring mixed in on the hinge?
Thanks
Larry
My lid is cocked a little and the end of the lid closest to the wrist closes before the latch locks in and pulls the lid down firmly. So the lid acts as its own spring. When released it pops up a half inch; all I need. If I can skip a spring in there it leaves unobstructed space for stuff. In this case, 4 flints, a jag, and a length of patching.

I keep editing this. It’s to easy to mount a spring locked in behind the hinge in the cavity, coming out below it, curling up in an S shape, pressing on the lid.

My lid is cocked a little and the end of the lid closest to the wrist closes before the latch locks in and pulls the lid down firmly. So the lid acts as its own spring. When released it pops up a half inch; all I need. If I can skip a spring in there it leaves unobstructed space for stuff. In this case, 4 flints, a jag, and a length of patching.

I keep editing this. It’s to easy to mount a spring locked in behind the hinge in the cavity, coming out below it, curling up in an S shape, pressing on the lid.
Rich, I really like that idea, besides half of what I do gets cocked a little without even trying. 😂 I can see how that would work very well with a little tweaking.
Thanks
Larry

Ideally on a Bucks County gun, the pushrod for the patchbox catch should come from below the toe plate. I didn’t know that when I did this build.

These comments are great! Has anyone ever seen a round patchbox? I assume one woud pressure close or have a screw lid.

Latest posts

Back