• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ken Netting rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New flintlock shooter here. I just picked up a 1987 Ken Netting rifle with a swamped 50 cal. barrel.
I did a few repairs on the sight and the ram rod. Haven't fired it yet.

Two questions:
1. How did I do?
2. Does this rifle fit into a historical style of build? I was told it is a "Virginia rifle."

IMGP5931.jpg

IMGP5942.jpg

IMGP5947.jpg

IMGP5940.jpg

IMGP5956.jpg

Well, let me start by saying that Ken makes some FINE shooting irons, I would love to own one of his rifles or fowling pieces. It’s hard to say how you did because you didn’t include a purchase price, but I don’t blame you. Ken also stopped making custom orders a couple years ago, but he still makes and sells what he wants to. Last year he finished my Kibler Woodsrunner, he done a fine job! He lives about an hour from me so I try and visit him a couple times a year.
Great find!

Since I don't know what you paid I can't really assess how good a deal you got. I do believe you got a very good rifle to be proud of. If it shoots as good as it looks you got a great deal.

Iron mounts are rare, but not unheard of. Brass would have been more common.

Okay, so I paid $2k
How did I do?
It depends on how you approach it. What would it cost to have built? $2500+. For someone who wants an iron mounted rifle marketed as a Virginia rifle, it’s an attractive one. Ken is a very well respected builder but few builders are highly sought after and commanding premium prices. The abundance of inexpensive high quality kit-based guns has impacted the market in my view.

Well, considering the parts alone to build that rifle would be over $1,000 and there has to be well over 200-250 hours involved in building it I'd say you did just fine. Iron mounted or not, it's a fine rifle.

Thanks, I wanted an iron-mounted rifle. I like them better than brass.

So what style of rifle is this? It is truly a "Virginia rifle?"
There is nothing "Virginia" about it. That is a moniker that is used when it's a generic rifle these days. It may be best to describe it as a colonial parts gun. It has a Germanic jeager trigger guard and an english buttplate. Nothing wrong with that.

Gotta tell about this build. Was a copy of the well documented , Edward Marshal Indian Walk transitional rifle. Presented it to it's new owner , and he was well pleased. He owned the rifle three months , and passed away . That one saddened me , because he so liked it. Hope the rifle went to a direct relative that would appreciate it.

Gotta tell about this build. Was a copy of the well documented , Edward Marshal Indian Walk transitional rifle. Presented it to it's new owner , and he was well pleased. He owned the rifle three months , and passed away . That one saddened me , because he so liked it. Hope the rifle went to a direct relative that would appreciate it.

The gentleman who sold me this rifle last month said that Ken Netting made the rifle for him in 1987 as a custom build.
Did I misunderstand what he said?

I looked into the Edward Marshall Indian Walk transitional rifle, and this rifle looks just like it. Thank you!

Last edited:
Back