• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kansas: Scopes OK'd for muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumpshot

54 Cal.
Reaction score
http://www.kansas.com/sports/outdoors/story/341212.html

The Wildlife and Parks Commission approves the addition for the early season.
BY MICHAEL PEARCE
The Wichita Eagle

For the first time, Kansas deer hunters will be allowed to hunt with scopes on their muzzleloaders during the state's early muzzleloader season.

Wildlife and Parks commissioners voted 4-3 to allow scopes of any magnification after more than 20 minutes of discussion during a meeting Thursday night in Topeka.

Commissioner Frank Meyer of Herington was against the regulation, saying, "with these new muzzleloaders all you're doing is extending the regular firearms deer season by two weeks."

Commissioner Gerald Lauber of Topeka supported allowing scopes to make it easier for hunters with vision problems to aim their rifles and place their shots more accurately.

Chris Tymeson, Wildlife and Parks attorney, said complaints have been filed with the federal government claiming that denying the use of scopes discriminates against hunters with poor sight.

A proposal to legalize the use of .22 centerfire cartridges failed 6-1, with several commissioners saying they'd researched the matter and found little evidence the cartridges were adequate for deer hunting.

Commissioners were unanimous in passing the following equipment-related regulations for deer hunting:

Ӣ Allowing the use of knapped stone broadheads for bowhunting.

Ӣ Allowing the use of hard-cast lead bullets in muzzleloaders and rifles.

Ӣ Allowing the use of crossbows during the state's regular firearms season.

The following regulations for over-the-counter permits also passed the commission:

Ӣ The creation of a "three-in-one" state-wide whitetail permit, which allows residents to hunt across the state, in any season with the appropriate weapon.

Ӣ The creation of a state-wide archery any deer/either species permit that allows a bowhunter to take whitetail or mule deer. The permit is only valid during archery season.

Ӣ The issuance of muzzleloader any deer/either species permits that allows permit holders to hunt whitetail or mule deer in select western Kansas units. Such permits would not be valid during archery season and would require hunters to use a muzzleloader during the state's regular firearms deer season.

The next commission meeting is April 17 in Garden City.

Last edited by a moderator:
:cursing: Another state bites the dust. They just want to sell more permits and plastic zip guns. The "eyesite" excuse is hogwash-they are being pushed by money, TC and Knight. Now, we'll be seeing over 200 yard shots over all that flat terrain. They will not be seeing any of my money.

arkrivco

"love those old guns"

We were talking about this at our shoot last weekend. You are right,it is all about selling tags and making money. With my bad knees and funky back maybe I can get them to let me shoot out of my truck... :hmm:
Course, settin of the flinlock inside the cab might get "interesting"...
:wink:

...complaints have been filed with the federal government claiming that denying the use of scopes discriminates against hunters with poor sight.

Now who would have gone and done a thing like that?

I called KDWP last week for clarification on something I read on their website. The lady I spoke with said she couldn't answer my question because the ML regulations would probably have "major" changes after he meeting in April.

M/L season usually starts the late part of September in Kansas but the regs never get printed out till around October. Good thing there is a website to get the info from. Wonder what they will be up to in April? :hmm:

PaulN/KS said:
We were talking about this at our shoot last weekend. You are right,it is all about selling tags and making money. With my bad knees and funky back maybe I can get them to let me shoot out of my truck... :hmm:
Course, settin of the flinlock inside the cab might get "interesting"...
:wink:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Latest posts

Back