• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just ordered from Tip Curtis

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m really surprised to hear that Tip was in Phoenix this year.

When I spoke to him a few weeks back he had no intentions of going... :idunno:

Richard Eames said:
Maybe you should eat the Cows and get your life back, or off some kid who is responsible the job, and pay them a decent sum to feed your Cows.

Kids today no matter what people say are motivated to earn money, I never have a problem getting my backyard cleaned up. Money talks.

When you own a ranch (my life is my ranch) you do not turn it over to just anyone, and folks who are responsible are hard to find.

Back yard cleaning and managing a ranch and cows is a different matter.

If dependable folks could be found, I would have been in Phoenix shooting versus hauling hay to cows and checking them to see if anyone one of them was calving and the calf needed pulling.

See you have not changed in a year.

Why should I change I am like I am because of life experience. Did not realize you were a big time rancher, I pictured you have 3 - 4 Cow or Cattle not a big heard.

BTW you appear not to have changed either, why not?

May not have to worry about a 2019 WNS as I was told this was the worst turnout ever. At some point some NMLRA beans counter will figure out the cost v/s botton line does justify the effort.

Tip Curtis told me Friendship is like 40-50% in shooters, and it too is not in a building, but declining mode.

I visited with Tip last year at his shop.

He said the attendance at Friendship and other gatherings was going down, as the younger generation is not interested in muzzleloading.

I guess that's why the NMLRA is talking about allowing inlines.

Anyway, I bought some parts, and he was very helpful and personable to me. Could have talked for hours, but I had to get on down the road after an hour and a half. I would buy from him again.

He is not a young man, and will be missed when he is gone.

He sure has a lot of inventory at his shop.

A couple of years ago or maybe three, Tip visited with me about maybe one of his sons joining him but that seemed to be short lived as the next time I stopped he was still building by himself. I think his son may have helped out for a short time but nothing on a permanent basis. I only have one of his guns and really should grab another one or two from him. Greg :)

His son, Tippy Curtis, has a website and he shows a rifle kit in the rifle link but the link also states it's under construction, so maybe......

Samuel S. said:
I visited with Tip last year at his shop.

He said the attendance at Friendship and other gatherings was going down, as the younger generation is not interested in muzzleloading.

I guess that's why the NMLRA is talking about allowing inlines.

Anyway, I bought some parts, and he was very helpful and personable to me. Could have talked for hours, but I had to get on down the road after an hour and a half. I would buy from him again.

He is not a young man, and will be missed when he is gone.

He sure has a lot of inventory at his shop.

The NMLRA IMHO has been run like a ship without a rudder for many years. The subject of the inline being allowed has been fought over, like the idea of a "temporary membership" offered during National Shoots.

I had proposed that idea 20 years ago, and it was killed because if some temporary Member won a match, or set a National Record it would be boohoo time.

Honestly the idea now has been apprently adopted under another name, 20 years late.

Tip Curtis told me real NMLRA Membership is 10.5-11.0K not what they advertise in the Blast.

Snakebite said:
His son, Tippy Curtis, has a website and he shows a rifle kit in the rifle link but the link also states it's under construction, so maybe......

Tippy who was at one time very involved in the NMLRA was on
BOD, and if I recall Association Treasurer, now is not even going to Friendship.

Tip said to me last week Tippy is busy with his
Crane business, doing wonderful.

Snakebite said:

I emailed Tippy and he said he doesn't build rifles and kind of indicated he wasn't interested. Both Tip and Tippy seem like nice guys when I've contacted them.

Ironically Tip made his fortune in the boat building industry. He told me he sold out, made a pile of money and moved out on Old Hickory lake with all the other rich folk. He said rubbing shoulders with the super rich wasn't his thing and he was bored to death. He moved to Cross Plains, started his gun shop and has been happy ever since.

19 16 6 said:
Does he have an apprentice or some one likely to take over ?
O.

I honestly do not think the job produces the money to pay an Apprentice, these gunmaker, are don't drive Audi's most make ends meet.

It is something people do more because they are a little crazy, not trying to get rich., Call it love of self employment, and being a gunsmith.

So as said above he can afford to build gun, because of other money.

Back