• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just Got 1849 Pocket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooddw

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just received an 1849 Colt Pocket relplica from a friend that didn't want it. Appears an old man died and had a huge gun collection. He had two daughters who didn't like guns and sold the whole collection but gave away the blackpowder stuff.

The gun has a couple of problems. The cylinder does not always rotate when it is cocked. Also, the wedge comes out on it's on. It is very loose. The barrel actually fell off once when I was paying attention. I need to figure out how the fix this.

Any suggestions?

BTW, it came from a company called Hartford. It's says "Made in Italy" but there are no markings on the gun at all.

You might be interested in when it was made. If you follow this link, and find the proof marks, you will be able to figure it out.
PROOF MARKS YEARS

As for the cylinder not rotating, it may be because the "hand and spring" are worn or broken. Dixie lists this part as being available, part number MP0331 for $6.50. Before ordering it though, it would be a good idea to disassemble the gun and check out the part. It may just be stuck in some old grease.

Dixie also lists the barrel wedge as part number PP0330 for $6.50 but I would only buy it if the current wedge has a lot of wear on it.
There should be a little flat spring built into it that hooks on the far side of the barrel. This spring is to keep the wedge from backing out. Your's doesn't seem to be working.

When all is said and done, you got a neat toy even if it isn't in a very good condition. :)

I also acquired one of these recently at a gun show for $65.00 w/accessories (brag, brag) anyway, it was rather slow and rough handling but after a good cleaning, she works just fine. :results:

Thanks for the info. I plan to disassemble it as soon as possible. As for the wedge, there is no spring as my 1860 Army has. I checked a drawing on[url] coltparts.com[/url] and it doesn't show a spring in the wedge. I like this gun cause it has a six inch barrel. All the ones at Cabelas or Basspro only offer 4".

Last edited by a moderator:
By all means take it apart. You'd be surprised how many get put back together with the hand/trigger spring inverted. Some Italian makers have aslo had trouble getting parts properly made. Good luck.

Just looked at a couple of Pocket Models and see that they don't have the spring in the wedge. Patersons are that way too. You might be able to tighten yours by careful peening of the edges to widen it a bit. Six inch bbl replicas are not common and it does make it very interesting.

Link to disassembly thread/picture
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=137102

Thanks. You were right on. I disassembled it and found that the leaf spring on the hand spring assembly was broken. Appreciate the info on the parts. I'm assuming you are referring to Dixie Gun Parts. As soon as I figure out how to get in touch with them, I'll order the part including a new wedge.

I disassembled it and found that the leaf spring on the hand spring assembly was broken.

I've been meaning to stick my two cents in. I have owned two of these. My first one was a brass frame model with a 4" barrel from EMF, long since traded off. The one I have now is a steel frame model with a 6" barrel. It once belong to a friend's father, who had passed away years ago. It had a high spot on the cylinder that would cause it to bind. Once I had stoned that down, it turned into a great shooter. They are great plinkers. And good for hunting small varmints

It is well known that the hand-springs like to break in the replica models. So I think it would be wise to order 2, just in case...

I have a whole set of inside-parts and all screws for my Uberti 1851 Navy. I got them from www.vtigunparts.com

Back