• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just broke the top jaw screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy2

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just broke the top jaw screw on my GPR. Does anyone besides Lyman sell replacements?

Never mind, Cain's Outdoors was willing to 2-day the part to me. I made sure to order several- if I can break one, I can break a bunch.

If a moderator wanted to zap this post, it'd be fine by me.

If you don't mind the question, how in the world did you break it? I do have a spare on hand in case I fumble and lose one, but so far have never had one actually break...

Well I was going for an antiqued look, so I started gently beating it with a hammer, see, and about that time....

Just kidding. I was just tightening it down and it snapped off clean in the middle of the shank. Either I just happened to get a bad one (possible), or I'd weakened it by over-torquing it in the past and this was the final straw (most likely). I've managed to break a few small screws in my time, but this was a considerable step up in size. Live and learn, I guess.

I made sure to order several- if I can break one, I can break a bunch.

Of course you realize, now that you have several, you will NEVER need another. :haha:

Cowboy2 said:
I just broke the top jaw screw on my GPR. Does anyone besides Lyman sell replacements?
Too bad it's not a T/C lock, they would send you a new one...FREE!...Seriously though, call Lyman first, maybe they'll send you a new one. The phone call is cheaper than a new part!

BPS

I don't know what to think about T/C any more...I was helping a guy on another site who needed a new tumbler & fly for his T/C lock...he had called T/C and said they told him they didn't have any.
:shocked2:

I suggested he try Cains Outdoor in West VA and turns out Cains had some...

Jethro--Oh, I know, that's why I ordered so many. Call it preventative insurance. I ought to just get a second GPR so I can rest easy that nothing will ever break on either.

BPS--I called to get a part, and they've got a little wait for shipping. Given the price of gas and how much it costs me each time I drive in from the ranch, its cheaper to just pay for the new parts with expedited shipping and have it arrive on a day I know I'll be in town.

Were you using a screwdriver or a punch through the hole to tighten it down?

I broke one with the punch through the hole. It doesn't take much.

Yeah I broke one on my gpr to. Ordinarily Id say it was my fault but the way the screw broke I don't think so. I was just going to get a new hammer, jaw and screw from t/c, but they told me they don't ship to Canada. :idunno: I'll find someone who does. Im just using a hex screw I grabbed out of my shop for now but it sure looks out of place on the lock :rotf:

I broke a TC jaw screw years ago, I now have a couple spares on hand.

As far as service from TC ? It is sad, but since S&W bought them out, it is not what it used to be.

I tried to order a complete flintlock assembly from TC a month ago. The man said they were available and I paid over phone with credit card. A couple weeks later, a TC lock showed up in the mail.

A TC Firestorm 209 percussion lock.

I called S&W TC and told them the error. They then told me they had no flintlock assemblys, and they expected that they wouldn't in the future, they were out of production.

Since you're talking about replacing a top jaw screw, what if you turned an aluminum top jaw screw? It would cut the weight of the moving parts and maybe increase speed. Perhaps it would accelerate faster toward the frizzen but slow down faster as it scraped the frizzen. Just wondering. . . .

Regards,
Pletch

The screw could have failed from hydrogen embrittlement. It is not something the firearm manufacturer would have detected. It happens sometimes in the manufacturing process at the steel plant.

I've never broken one but obviously a number of people have done so. It helps to grease the threads and the shoulder where it meets the top jaw. By reducing the wasted friction you reduce the applied torque needed to secure the flint.

Back