• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jonathan Browning 50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend and I just acquired a Jonathan Browning 50 cal, made in Utah. The rifle looks good but sat for years in a basement and nipple seems rusted in place. The fly is missing and the bridle screw twisted off as I tried to remove it. Any thoughts on replacing the missing fly? I have put Kroil oil on the other screws and the nipple.

I haven't been on the site recently since poor eyesight has made shooting iron sights just guesswork. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Charlie

Unfortunately for you, parts for the Browning Mountain rifle are hard to come by. You might try the "Gun works shop". Best of luck, those are great guns.

I reshaped a T/C fly and now the Browning is in working order. It is a nice looking rifle. Will shoot it next week.
left .jpg
right.jpg

I reshaped a T/C fly and now the Browning is in working order. It is a nice looking rifle. Will shoot it next week.View attachment 85128View attachment 85129
Good for you, Charlie! That was some creative thinking, and a good save. It is a nice looking rifle. It looks like it has a few miles on it, but with many more to go.

By now, maybe you've had a chance to shoot it. Maybe you can give us a report from the field.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouraging comments. I have not shot it yet. Iron sights are a real struggle for my 77 year-old eyes and I have been "focusing" on things with optics. Might be time to pass it on but I have sold several "Hawken-style" rifle over the last year.
Thanks
Charlie

I just ordered a Williams receiver for mine. Can not see the sights any more.

I have been communicating with Notchy Bob about my JBMR which has some mainspring issues. Basically the peg on the short leg of the mainspring is smaller that the hole in the lockplate. Thus the spring does not maintain contact with the tumbler when the hammer falls. This allows the hammer to rebound and the caps is propelled off. Does any one know a "fix" for this. I am adding a portion of my communication with Brent. Thanks for any help you can offer. My buddy and I hope to sell the rifle and would like it to be in working order.
Charlie
Brent
These are the new mainsprings for the BMR. The pix of the lock shows a gap between the mainspring and the roller on the tumbler. I don't know why it is like that but it is not correct. I should be able to fit one of the new springs so that it maintains contact with the roller. If you buy the rifle I will include all three springs. Sorry this is taking a while to repair. If you have any questions please ask.
Charlie
lock.jpg

main.JPG

Latest posts

Back