• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

JM Browning mt rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbowie1

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a JM browning mt rifle in 50 cal in 1983 it is new in box i never fired it. Yesterday i bought another 1 new in box in 50 cal for $750.00 now i have 1 i can shoot and 1 as an investment. They are hard to find in original box unfired my christmass present to myself lol.

Nice, you are keeping the 1983 still in box, right? Shoot the new one. LOL I just bought a new unfired 54 TC Hawken 1980 vintage. I plan on keeping it that way. wish I had the original box though, that makes it worth more to me anyway.

JM Browning Mtn rifle is a cool piece of equipment for sure by the way!! I don't own one of those. I just bought myself like 5 new BP guns this past week for Christmas....had a nice bonus this year. I spent it all on new BP guns....good investment, right? That is what I tell wife and she likes guns anyway, so it is all good. Spend it on vacation and when you get home it is over and gone. This way I have something to show for it years down the road. Got three the day after thanksgiving from Cabelas all heavy discounts.

THEY were both made in 1983, Which ever 1 has the best walnut stock is the 1 i will keep unfired Both have the brown steel furniture. If i knew how to post pics on here i would post pics of my rifles.

They were made to shoot with, if I remember, a dead soft, leaded steel barrel from Numrich Arms, and they do shoot very, very well, even with what at that time, was a very inexpensive barrel.

I recently bought a .45 that is new in the box or awfully close to it. I will shoot it when the weather and my spare time co operate. Mine also has the brown furniture. Now looking for a similar .50 and .54. Wanted one when they first came out and couldn't afford them at the time. New house, kids, etc. Old age and retirement has been good to me along with the rental business. Everyone says they are great shooters. I will post after I try it out. Guns are made to shoot as well as to look at. Sort of like a beautiful woman. Looking is great but other things are better.

Thats Awesome! Finding an unfired JBMR is becoming a rarer and rarer thing.. Great find. I have the JBMR .50 barrel and Lock on a restocked rifle..the rest of the components are mostly off one of the early CVA Mountain rifles..its a frankenstein build buti just wanted to mention what awesome barrels these rifles have, deeply grooved and smooth as silk..slow twist and just the perfect modern recreation imho. Nice and heavy too .

Might I suggest you keep both unfired NIB as investments and to hand down and find a fired one if you want a shooter piece. Just like land, they aren't making any more and to have two unfired NIB is truly rare. There is no shortage of shooter versions available so why turn a 31 year old unfired gun into a plain shooter?

I agree with what Dean says. Especially since they are not making them. Look at the TC traditional line like Hawken and Renegade...same there too. I have an unfired TC Hawken 1980's version. Staying unfired as I have a bunch of BP guns anyway. I paid $600 for it. I also have a TC Custom barrel unfired 31 inch for Renegade...it says on barrel: Roundball 1-66 Twist this came from Custom shoppe there when they were in business. I plan on keeping it unfired for awhile anyway as I have it mounted on a stock that has been slightly used and I did get this one to shoot PRB. It is in 50 caliber.

"I spent it all on new BP guns....good investment, right?"

Seems in the last year or so, the price of BP rifles has been dropping.

Several years ago I asked the same question and Zonie's answer was no.

Would not place my retirement account in BP guns.

I would go and shoot at least one of them. What good will NIB guns be when you are dead? Life is short, shoot and enjoy while you can. I have found that when you sell a gun, in a little while the money is spent and you don't have the gun any more!

Enjoy them! :grin:

BI

I would most likely shoot both of them. Guns are meant to be used. I cant imagine having a nice gun like that and not shooting it.

It is a personal choice. I have only a couple of NIB guns that have not been shot. I have found that carefully used and cared for guns with the box and paperwork intact are also good investments and you get the fun of shooting them. My guns will hopefully be sold by my family after I am gone. Unless something unexpected happens, the difference in what my guns are worth NIB versus lightly used with the box and paperwork will not make a lot of difference and they won't know the difference anyway. My most treasured guns are around 100 years old and well used. I still shoot them also.

Latest posts

Back