• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jim Chambers stock finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not that i didn`t know, but it was 26 ish years ago i last saw you.
i shoot left and usually pay attention to other lefty shooters

Hi...I should have been LHed but my parents discouraged me early on. My Dad always said I swept the floor "backwards", kept my wallet in the wrong pocket and put my belt on backwards. I still persist in doing these things today, but am considered to be RHed.

In the mid 30s and later on, life was much easier if one was RHed...for both myself and my parents.

Shot guns RHed but my left eye was the master eye so I trained myself to just close the left eye slightly and then the right eye took over. Both the bow and slingshots were shot LHed.

So....am kinda "mixed up" and ambidextrous, but that's life.....Fred

I helped at a youth shooting sports program this last weekend with the muzzle loading segment. It was amazing to me the number of right handed, left eye dominant kids who were shooting. It was hard for them to try to shoot left handed and hard for them to shoot righty with a dominant left eye. My daughter has the same issue.

A stock with 2 1/2"-3" of cast off designed for a left eye dominance takes a lot of wood thickness of the blank. I've seen shotguns made that way, and they're really goofy looking.

Perhaps another way to attack it would be with some fold out sights, (like Japanese Arisaka Type 99 rifles with anti aircraft sights) but parallax is the issue there. No less goofy looking either. I've never seen an original rifle made to deal with this condition, but suspect a few were made, as it isn't anything new to man kind.

W/ a handgun in my right hand it was easy using the left eye to aim. Did a lot of ruffed grouse hunting and as everyone knows, it requires quick mounting and aiming and because I trained myself to slightly squint the left eye, lest it "took over", shot a lot of grouse RHed.

Shot on 2 trap teams and in the Army, shot a lot of skeet....all RHed.

A 'scope on a modern RHed gun is the way to go if left eye is master......Fred

Latest posts

Back