• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jim Chambers stock finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello.

Ive just put on the 1st coat of Chambers stock finish. The instructions reads up to 4 coats. Ive read other entries here where guys have done up to 8. Just curious as to what people who us this finish usually do.

Thanks

On one rifle stock, I applied a total of 9 coats. In retrospect, I think, that was over kill. Since that time I have used about 5 or 6 coats with great results. I apply it with my finger tips to a relatively small area and spread it very thinly and rub it until I feel my fingers start to drag. I then move on to another area. I keep doing this until I have covered the whole stock. Actually, the first two or three coats will have given the stock its protection and subsequent coats provide the type of finish or appearance you desire. In most cases, I'd say that one needs at least 4 coats and no more than six coats to provide a very nice appearing and durable finish.

Thanks very much for the replies and advice. I didnt want to go with to many coats as I ve read that it could darken the wood

You really don't have to worry about the finish darkening the wood much past the initial color you get with the first coat or two. Nearly all the commercially made finishes are light Amber to clear colored. It you look onto the can or bottle you can see what I mean. When a piece of glass is coated you would see some yellowing or ambering. But until you would get far more coats and thickness than we would get in gun stock finishing, the translucency would pretty much stay the same giving the coating thickness. Remember a good stock finish is mostly in the wood fibers, with a very thin coating remaining in the surface. The number of coats is not so important as filling the pores of the grain to me. I always rub my finishes back to the wood surface with a cotton rag when the finish is tacky to schemere and pack the finish into the pores. Then rub in a top coat or two for sheen, then rub out to your taste. BJH

I like the Chambers oil finish and have used it on several rifles. I always apply 8 coats. The first 2 are to fill the grain. The next 6 because I just feel that's the right amount.
This is one area not to hurry through. Take your time. I only get one coat in a 24 hour period and that's only if it completely dried.

My present finishing entails using 2 very different finishes....the initial LMF sealer provides the moisture barrier and the Wahkon Bay Trucoat supplies an addt'l moisture barrier but mainly yields a pretty dull finish when it dries.

Chambers' oil finish sounds good, but how shiny is it? Could someone please post pics? Thanks......Fred

Flehto, the way I use the Chambers finish it will end up with a deep coat that's shiney. If I don't want that much shine I knock it back with fine steel wool or a scotch brite pad.
Wish I could post a picture but I only post from my files, I don't use any filesharing like Photobucket.

Wow! Nice work. The finish is low sheen, but to achieve it, did you rub it back?......Fred

Back