• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Japanese Matchlock Bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Credit: Samurai History & Culture Japan

Matchlock Gun Shot

Samurai used matchlock guns. We know that. But what was the shot made of?

Most were lead, being easy to melt and cast into the required sized shot, and as Japan does not have natural resources of lead, it had to be imported. Tests on lead shot from the Sengoku (Warring States) period has shown that the majority of lead originated in what is now Thailand. Lead was also recyclable. After battles, farmers would search for the used lead shot and sell it back to the samurai.

However, in some battles, instead of using expensive lead shot, matchlock gun squads were supplied with Tsuchi-dama, being shot made of ceramics. Unglazed ceramic shot was called Suyaki-dama, and these have been found in various areas, particularly around modern day Aichi Prefecture.

Aichi is still home to 2 of the 6 famed kiln regions within Japan, Seto and Tokoname, and these areas were tasked with producing shot for Sengoku samurai.

C72C5A6A-6A84-4F30-9BB1-4C7F6239E128.jpeg

Japanese were, and in many ways did hate foreigners. If they didn't make something they claimed they did and held onto the concept forever. Samurai used matchlocks for a long time rather than buy into foreign weapons. I also heard that they found a matchlock gun and began making them claiming they were of Japanese origin. When the other people were using flintlocks and percussion guns, the Samurai were still using matchlocks.

In a Kurasawa (Director) movie, "Seven Samurai" where one group was about to ambush another group, but the attackers could smell the matchlock fuses from the ambushers and backed up and attacked later.

If you have not seen Akira Kurosawa movies, he did 30 films over five decades. His movies was slavishly redone as "The Magnificent Seven."

All the above is from my memory.

Corrected it for you ... recall pre-WW2 and their need for oil and steel, amongst other resources ...
Absolutely correct...my father (living in Corpus Christi, Texas) told me later as I grew up, that Japanese ships for years prior to WWII, would load up with scrap iron/steel at the port of CC. It was a massive prized export business! We were attacked with American steel!

Absolutely correct...my father (living in Corpus Christi, Texas) told me later as I grew up, that Japanese ships for years prior to WWII, would load up with scrap iron/steel at the port of CC. It was a massive prized export business! We were attacked with American steel!
The (very deserved) US embargo is one of the main reasons they attacked the US. After the Japanese failure to defeat the Soviets at Khalkhin Gol, they had to look towards British Malaya, Dutch Indonesia, and the American Philippines for resources to continue their war in China.

I'd love to see velocity and penetration tests with the ceramic projectile vs lead.
It would be VERY interesting to see its effects on armor. I am not particularly familiar with Japanese armor, but I assume a lead bullet would probably pierce it (based of my recent re watch of the extremely accurate historical documentary: The Last Samurai). I wonder if the clay would just shatter, instead.

Last edited:
Years ago I was talking to a Russian visitor at Jamestown and when the matchlock was fired in the Fort, he hit the deck. I told him not to worry, it was just a matchlock, and he hollered “YOU DON’T ‘JUST A METCHLOCK’ TO ME! I AM KNOWING ALL ABOUT GOTDAM METCHLOCKS!”
He went on to tell me that when he was a young conscript in Afghanistan in the ‘80s, some of the mudjahadin in the mountains were still using matchlock rifles, and that they were making bullets from clay that was fired and then dipped in lead to coat the bullets. He said that his best friend was killed by one of those bullets that came through the door of the truck they were driving. I wish I could have asked him more, but it wasn’t really a good time for that.
Jay

Years ago I was talking to a Russian visitor at Jamestown and when the matchlock was fired in the Fort, he hit the deck. I told him not to worry, it was just a matchlock, and he hollered “YOU DON’T ‘JUST A METCHLOCK’ TO ME! I AM KNOWING ALL ABOUT GOTDAM METCHLOCKS!”
He went on to tell me that when he was a young conscript in Afghanistan in the ‘80s, some of the mudjahadin in the mountains were still using matchlock rifles, and that they were making bullets from clay that was fired and then dipped in lead to coat the bullets. He said that his best friend was killed by one of those bullets that came through the door of the truck they were driving. I wish I could have asked him more, but it wasn’t really a good time for that.
Jay
Holy sh!t, that’s one hell of an anecdote! Crazy to think there are still people alive that have PTSD from a matchlock.

In Chechnya they had a shortage of lead so they would often use wooden or stone projectiles "dipped" in lead. Ceramic bullets are very interesting, cant imagine they would have much weight to be effective

In Chechnya they had a shortage of lead so they would often use wooden or stone projectiles "dipped" in lead. Ceramic bullets are very interesting, cant imagine they would have much weight to be effective
some stoneware can be very heavy, same with porcelain. probably not the best for the health of the ML. for fun! I will make some balls today haha

some stoneware can be very heavy, same with porcelain. probably not the best for the health of the ML. for fun! I will make some balls today haha
This is an interesting conversation. As I recall, the original users of artillery used iron or stone projectiles. During the ACW they employed a split or 2-piece wooden sabot to encase the payload & help seal / protect the bore. In a shoulder weapon, what comes to mind to sleeve the ball?

Back