• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jams, Jellies and Marmalades

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
JAM - Jam is always made from the whole or cut fruits, cooked to a pulp with sugar, producing a thick, fruity, spread.

Jelly - Jelly is made using only the juice of the fruit and sugar.

Marmalade - Marmalade is similar to jam but made only from bitter Seville oranges from Spain or Portugal.

Made some Orange Jam
Peeled 4 oranges and cut into small pieces, then blitzed 5 seedless oranges whole with a pinch of cloves, added dried Cayenne peppers with 270gr dates. Cooked for 5min then simmered low for a couple hours.
No sugar added, that was the point of the dates. Nice way to keep things.

p39kuVc.jpg

ZkDnkV5.jpg

Marmalade is believed to have been created in 1561 by the physician to Mary, Queen of Scots. He crushed oranges and sugar as a remedy for her seasickness.

Or so the story goes....

I need to remember to try to find and pick some wild sand plums this summer. I made a bunch of jelly from them a number of years ago and need to do it again. They taste great with a sweet/tart flavor.

Sand plums mmmmm We found some growing beside the parking lot at Little Big Horn Monument. Wish we had those up here in Canada.

I don't know if they were sand plums or not but one of my deer hunting friends had a shack near Backus Minnesota where the soil is very sandy. On the north side of that old shack there was a plum bush, maybe 5½ feet high that was usually loaded with plums in the fall that made the most wonderful sweet/tart jam.

Back