• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

James Watson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose_Meat

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought this at a garage sale about 25 years ago, and have never really found any real info on it. .45-70 for scale.

Anyone here have any idea?

Very hard to see but most of it is I believe German sliver, other than the barrel, hammer, trigger & guard, loading rod, and the cap box cover are steel.

Approx. .45Cal, "James Watson" and the word "London" on the barrel(sorry missed that shot), proof marks look to be British, the loading rod pivots, and from messing with it over the years I would say its a bullet starter.

Gaps will close up if I tighten down the screws, there is a lot of force from the hammer spring that opens the gaps, I have never taken it apart for fear of not ever getting it back together.

407902391.jpg

407902402.jpg

407902408.jpg

407902406.jpg

407902399.jpg

407902397.jpg

407902393.jpg

407902404.jpg

407902653.jpg

407902652.jpg

That's pretty. Wonder why anyone would write "London" on a gun made in Staffordshire with B'ham proofs :idunno:

Stockel lists 3 James Watson's.

There is one in London but he's listed as active 1890-94 which would be a cartridge pistol.

The other 2 could be the same person, both in Staffordshire. One in Wednesbury, active 1854-72, the other in Darlaston active c1855.

There is an address for him in 1869-72 which is a bit late for this gun, you want the 1854-69, but FWIW, 126 King's Hill, Wednesbury. I had a quick Google and Kings Hill would now seem to be a district rather than a road with house numbers. Tricky to find him with Google street view but you could zoom in with a satellite.

If you want photos of the Watson pages in Stockel, PM me, but it is in German :thumbsup:

I found this awhile ago, but not sure if it was correct.

James Watson Rosier (1834-1920)

http://famtrees.info/rosier_bio.html

http://famtrees.info/james_rosiertext.htm

Squire Robin said:
That's pretty. Wonder why anyone would write "London" on a gun made in Staffordshire with B'ham proofs :idunno:
I had a William Greener.... Birmingham gun maker double barrel...that had London on the barrel....they apparently had a London retail shop.

In the 19th Century, almost every provincial gunmaker had some sort of an outlet in or near London and would put "London" on his products. London made guns had the high reputation, even though many of them were made in Birmingham and simply retailed in London. The top London gun makers reserved their skills for the very top products which commanded the top prices, hence, many guns marked with famous London names were actually made in Birmingham. Fred

Hi Fred

Can't possibly be right I said to myself, went over to my gun heap, first one I picked up had London written on the top and B'ham proofs.

Well done :thumbsup:

Robin

Latest posts

Back