• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jaeger Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sootburner

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am interested in picking up one of these in .62. Initially I was considering going with TVM, but now I see they have removed this model from their list of rifles.

So now I'm looking at either a in the white from track of the wolf, or Tip Curtis

It will be my first "in the white build". Has anyone had experience with either of these? Or are there better options out there?

Many thanks and Happy New Year

I don't think Track does "in the white builds". They, among others, sell parts sets. A parts set build is a 100-150 hour project. It sounds to me like you're looking for a 20-40 hour project, but with correct architecture (unlike the "sand and assemble" stuff like Traditions etc---non HC/PC correct architecture). I think Tip Curtis does that, among several others, like Knob Mountain, Jim Chambers, and Sitting Fox (that's a farm out operation). Jim Kibler's "kits" are so well done you might as well call them an "in the white" build, but your options for styles there are more limited.

This will be my first non-off the shelf rifle. I currently have a GPR flint in .54 and a traditions Crockett. It is my hope one day to have a fully custom rifle. For now something like this I'm pretty excited about.

Would there be one builder you would recommend over another? Are the price points similar?

Thanks

I am interested in picking up one of these in .62. Initially I was considering going with TVM, but now I see they have removed this model from their list of rifles.

So now I'm looking at either a in the white from track of the wolf, or Tip Curtis

It will be my first "in the white build". Has anyone had experience with either of these? Or are there better options out there?

Many thanks and Happy New Year
Track of the Wolf does not sell "in the white" rifles. They sell "kits" that are similar to the ones sold by Pecatonica River.
These "kits" consist of a roughed out stock with the barrel channel cut but not finished at the breech. A bunch of rough castings of the trigger guard, butt plate, a working lock without any screw holes in it for mounting it, a trigger or set trigger assembly that also does not have any mounting screw holes, some ramrod guides, a nose cap and a sideplate.
None of these things are in a finished condition. Even the lock mortise for the lock is undersize to allow the builder to custom fit his lock to the stock.

These "kits" require the builder to have tools and the knowledge of how to use them. They take at least 120 hours to put together and more often than not it takes over 160 hours of dedicated work.

You might take a look at Sitting Fox. It appears that they have a Jaeger kit with several options that will allow for a kit that might be at a finished level you're looking for.

You might take a look at Sitting Fox. It appears that they have a Jaeger kit with several options that will allow for a kit that might be at a finished level you're looking for.

Be careful buying Sitting Fox products. His rifles are not all his make. He essentially brokers sales of rifles done by other builders. At least, one of his builders has a reputation for turning out very poor quality. However, for a first rifle, the Kibler kits would be a great start. Yes, they are essentially built but unfinished guns but the experience of taking one apart, finishing and browning then reassembling will add greately to your knowledge base and you will end up with a very nice rifle.

Thank you for all the a great pointers. Looks like I have some calls to make.

Either way, I'm pretty excited to get started.

I have seen and held WKD's Jaeger in his shop. I am not a big Jaeger fan but his is a really nice gun made of quality components with a very very reasonable price tag. I don't think anyone could go wrong buying that one and it is ready to shoot. :)

Dave

This is a track rifle I done several years ago. 54 cal. I did not do the 62cal because there was not enough metal contact to seal the bore properly. That is bore dia. to plug dia. and there was not enough barrel to increase the size of the breech plug.

Attachments

• GERMATIC-RIFLE.JPG
    GERMATIC-RIFLE.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 54 yeager.JPG
    54 yeager.JPG
    502.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 54 buttplate door.JPG
    54 buttplate door.JPG
    500.9 KB · Views: 115
I would check back with TVM,their web page says all the new info will be in 2019,maybe you can still get an in the white one.I have on I got a few years ago in L/H and enjoy it a lot.

Back