• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jaeger Barrel?Blue or Brown

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makanaut

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Which would be more typical for the barrel and lock of a Brandenburg school of Jaeger rifle. I have seen Jaeger rifles with both finishes but am wondering if there is a general rule of thumb.

I don't know for sure but I'll tell you this. I first left my jaeger in the white, then I browned it now it's blued/blackened with BC Perma Blue or whatever it's called. Why so many finishes? Because I kept reading different sources of info with different results. The germanic builders used some finishes that weren't so common elsewhere apparently including darkening some metal parts. I finally settled on the Blue/black finish on my barrel (it really sets off my brass rear sight) and left the lock in the white. Heck, I've changed my jaeger's appearence more often than my furnace filters. :shocked2: I would stay away from browning anything made before the Rev War in my opinion. I think the methods of darkening metal, charcoal blueing or rust blueing, resulted in a blackish blue color which wasn't so durable. I chose to simulate this with cold chemical blueing. I will follow this thread with great interest for sure.

I would leave them both in the white. Like this one was done.
P10108341.jpg

Chris Laubach

I'm very interested to hear what others have to says about this as well because I'm getting ready to invest in my next fire stick and leaning very heavily toward a jaeger (truth be known, I'm finished leaning - it's a done deal :winking: ). That's a nice looking gun. Was it a kit and do you mind if I ask where you got it from?

I'd add more to the conversation, but it's been pretty well covered. Bright or fire blued is what I'd do if I were making a "right off the bench new" gun. Of course I couldn't help but antique it, so little pits with a grey color would be my choice. :grin:

Thanks for all the input. Due to your responses Ive ruled out browning. Now If I decide to blue it I need to research it a bit. Ive never blued any hardware. Only browned.

Back