• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It's a good day when you learn something

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skypilot39b

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Took my Pedersoli Kentucky Long Rifle out to the range to try to do some good siting work with it and learn what it likes. When I started BP my dad had sent me some balls for the .45 H&A Pistol he gave me and I started with those at 70 grains using a .015 pre-lubed patch. The range I have access to only goes out to 20 yards on the pistol range, where they are more than happy to let me shoot the ML Rifle so that was my working distance. (There also have a rifle range, but the shortest distance on that is 100 yards. I'd like to have something in between.)

I used a solid bench padding system to take as much of my error out of the process as possible. with the patched ball/70 grain charge combination I was able to fire four round groups that were really about a .75 caliber single hole :thumbsup: I was very pleased!

I had cast some .45 Minie Balls as well so I decided to try those to see how they went. lubed them up with some straight crisco...it's what I had... and fired them with MUCH diffrent results. I couldn't keep them inside a 4" group :td: .

I started thinking...maybe I'm tired, my shooting is not as good something is wrong with me so I went back to the PRB and found that once again I was hitting the same hole on the target.

Went back home, threw the minies I had left into the lead pot and cast up some more of the original balls....

All in all a good day!

Back