• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ithaca Hawken landed on porch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was excited to receive a new to me Ithaca Hawken today. It is number 329 on barrel and stock. The lock was unmarked, but the triggers are Cherry Corners. It is missing the back barrel wedge. The front one appears to be original but is very loose. It measures 1.5 long and 3/8 wide. So the search is on for a back one! I did find a Cherry Corners ad from 1973 that has the barrel wedge as being 1.75 long and 7/16 wide. So if anyone knows the original size please share with me. I have already disassemble everything and cleaned and oiled. So it's ready for the range when I find a wedge. It appears to have been shot very little if any.
20220114_190649.jpg

Deermanok, I will check with them. I have thought about making a pair. I'm sure finding any like the original is a long shot.

Nice score, brother! I’ve never owned one of those, but they are said to be nice rifles.

I hope you can find a genuine Ithaca wedge for it, but I’m not optimistic. I believe Track of the Wolf sells blank wedges, but I don’t know if they have the size you need.

I wouldn’t let a missing wedge stop me from shooting that rifle, though. There are antique rifles out there that have “temporary” replacement wedges made of wood, that have been in place for the last 180 years or so. In Wah-to-Yah and the Taos Trail, Lewis Garrard reported that his rifle had at least one wooden key. I can find and post the quote if you’re interested.

I have a CVA Big Bore Mountain rifle with a loose wedge. It drops out if you tip the rifle sideways. I’ve been meaning to replace it with one that fits better if I can find one. Either that or make one of wood, like Garrard had.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Notchy Bob, we have 3 weeks of hunting season left, so hope to have a load worked up for it before then. My youngest son who is 14 is showing some interest in Black Powder Hunting. I hope to give it to him to hunt and target shoot with. I'm currently using an Ozark Mountain Arms for hunting and shooting. I love the "70s" era Hawken rifles.

See if the wedge you have will function-swap for the missing wedge. If it will work then
duplicate it from steel yourself. Or measure it very carefully-precisely and photograph it.
Furnish to Dixie & TOW-- someone will have it. Also Deer Creek had many wedges some
while back. What a great Rifle--lucky guy.

I have one of the Ithaca Hawkens, be happy to help, It'll be a couple of days to locate b/c I don't remember which gunsafe it's in. You have, by the way, one of the best Hawken repos available at the time they were made. No coil springs in that one.

If you wish to send me a PM, I'll be glad to help.

TOW has wedges. Recently, I put together a Hawken. The supplied wedges have a slot cut into them. I drilled a small hole inside the barrel channel and put a small pin through the slot. This retains the wedges. They will not fall out or get lost. Wedges slide clear of the barrel tenons but not out of the stock. Something to think about.

Could you not merely bend an arc in the key to fit it tighter?

I did that to improve accuracy in a TC Hawken.
I've heard of that, but haven't tried it yet. Thank you for the suggestion.

Here is the quote from Lewis Garrard's Wah-to-Yah and the Taos Trail:

Garrard .1.png

Garrard .2.png

I made an error in my first post. Garrard's rifle had two wooden "pegs," and one iron.

Notchy Bob, we have 3 weeks of hunting season left, so hope to have a load worked up for it before then. My youngest son who is 14 is showing some interest in Black Powder Hunting. I hope to give it to him to hunt and target shoot with. I'm currently using an Ozark Mountain Arms for hunting and shooting. I love the "70s" era Hawken rifles.
Wow, you have an Ozark Mountain Hawken, too! Good for you! I'm glad you and your son are hunting with those rifles. That's what they were made for.

Notchy Bob

89607.jpeg
88181.jpeg
Notchy Bob, here is a few doe that I have taken with the Ozark Mountain this year. I have a place I can only kill doe. I'm going to try to get another one in the morning. That gun is a tack driver. I got lucky and got it last year. It was like new. I am on the lookout for a Sharon also. I have two son's, so I think it would be neat to have those 3. All 70s era!

Was excited to receive a new to me Ithaca Hawken today. It is number 329 on barrel and stock. The lock was unmarked, but the triggers are Cherry Corners. It is missing the back barrel wedge. The front one appears to be original but is very loose. It measures 1.5 long and 3/8 wide. So the search is on for a back one! I did find a Cherry Corners ad from 1973 that has the barrel wedge as being 1.75 long and 7/16 wide. So if anyone knows the original size please share with me. I have already disassemble everything and cleaned and oiled. So it's ready for the range when I find a wedge. It appears to have been shot very little if any. View attachment 114937
Congratulations on a great find. Where in the world did you discover that?

Crane Senior, it was on an online auction. They had it paired with a Lyman GPR in 54 cal. My youngest son has been wanting a Hawken style rifle so I was going to keep the Ithaca for me and let him have the Lyman. When they arrived he really wanted the Ithaca. So I told him if he takes great care of it and shoots and hunts with it responsible I would let him use it and his name would be on it when I am no longer to shoot or enjoy the out doors.

Crane Senior, it was on an online auction. They had it paired with a Lyman GPR in 54 cal. My youngest son has been wanting a Hawken style rifle so I was going to keep the Ithaca for me and let him have the Lyman. When they arrived he really wanted the Ithaca. So I told him if he takes great care of it and shoots and hunts with it responsible I would let him use it and his name would be on it when I am no longer to shoot or enjoy the out doors.
Excellent, what a find, congratulations, I love the look of that rife, I'm sure your son will treasure it.

My son's first shot with the Ithaca. He was very excited. Hopefully he will be hooked.
I want to give a big THANKS to:
F.G. Ford
Sherrif John
Kiltman20
Folks like these guys are what makes this forum so great!

Latest posts

Back