• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Italian made flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leadhoarder said:
Would you have any concerns about ordering an Italian factory gun by Perdersoli or Investarms from a reputable online dealer site unseen right now?
My concerns are about the overall quality and pan/flashhole fit. I have read here and other places that the factories had issues with their workforces being impacted by the china virus. Maybe now is not a good time to be buying?
In Europa, and especially in Absurdistan, the best currents rifles we can have is the Pedersoli's. That is a good choice, those arms are good quality, I have three of them without particular problem...

Last edited:
The flintlock rifle examples from Pedersoli I have seen are reasonably well-made.

Every so often you get one with a soft frizzen or which just doesn't seem to spark well, but most are alright. Compared to the custom and semi-custom rifles made in the US, the Pedersolis seemed to run a little small (lock was more of the size you'd expect on a pistol, stock was a little small, length of pull was a little shorter than most, etc.). But that did not affect the functioning.

If you buy from a dealer who will back the product, you should have support from both Pedersoli and the seller if something is badly amiss out of the box. Don't fool with the gun in that case because you could void the warranty. Beware sellers who disown the product once it leaves their door - they don't have to back a gun that has been modified, but they should stand behind what they sell if it is fresh from the box and unused.

This whole "build it yourself" mantra is just silly in my opinion. Most of us don't have the skills and the tools to do that kind of job ourselves!Gunsmithing and stockwork skills take practice and many times of trial and error to learn. More times than not,someone who orders a kit will just end up with a cobbled together rifle. Just my opinion
In this case, I'd say that you missed the mark. Kibler's kits are very easy, with plenty of videos to watch. All drilled tapped and inlet, it's close to a snap-fit model kit. Maybe not that close, but a site better than any other kit. Sadly though, they don't have a left hand model and I don't think they can make them with different length of pull, drop, etc. Maybe I'm wrong. Quality stuff and perfect for a beginner.

No third world built gun is top quality. They are third world production for those that do not know better than get a quality firearm.
Here we go again. Not everyone is a Richey Rich and can just drop thousands on a custom gun. I'm sure that you turn your nose up at Thompson Center guns, but they were American-made, but are no more due to S&W chicanery.

Pedersoli makes quality guns. Everyone has a price point that they can afford.it's not like when you used to able to buy a ml gun cheap and get started.

In this case, I'd say that you missed the mark. Kibler's kits are very easy, with plenty of videos to watch. All drilled tapped and inlet, it's close to a snap-fit model kit. Maybe not that close, but a site better than any other kit. Sadly though, they don't have a left hand model and I don't think they can make them with different length of pull, drop, etc. Maybe I'm wrong. Quality stuff and perfect for a beginner.
Sorry you feel that way...My father was a stockmaker,and I've been doing my own small gunsmithing and repair for decades..I know what it takes.Anyone who wants to build their own,go for it. I have no problem.Anyone who says to anyone just jumping in the game,no experience w BP,just wanting to see what it's about to "get a kit,build your own" is giving poor advice.JMO

Sorry you feel that way...My father was a stockmaker,and I've been doing my own small gunsmithing and repair for decades..I know what it takes.Anyone who wants to build their own,go for it. I have no problem.Anyone who says to anyone just jumping in the game,no experience w BP,just wanting to see what it's about to "get a kit,build your own" is giving poor advice.JMO

Just a curiosity question, have you ever put together a Kibler?

Have you actually looked at a Kibler kit? Have you? Quality that anyone can do.

Being way past social security age I tend to make what I need. I can take about $900 in parts and make a gun worth $250. It shoots and takes game. I have a Lehigh County semi finished stock of plain maple, a 44 inch Douglas 45 cal. barrel, and an appropriate Siler lock. some day I will finish it. All of the parts cost me $200, except the lock it came with a percussion lock, back in 1972. I've learned a lot since then and may try finish it before I die!;)

What the H does it matter,sturmkatze???? Why does anyone think a newbie just seeing if this is a game they might like has to start in w a kit??? It's ridiculous. The fastest,easiest way to jump in BP it to buy a rifle and start shooting,NOT to order a kit and take on a build. I'm beginning to think a lot of the guys on this forum are on Kiblers payroll. It seems like every time someone wanting to get in the game is being told the only proper way is to order a Kibler kit.If you don't like an opposing opinion,tough

Last edited:
A lot of rifles on GunBroker. Brand new or used. Look around and you can find new or new new rifles and save some money. I have put three kit rifles and pistols together and I am working on another now. Takes tools, stains, finishes, place to do all this (sanding, filing, drilling, stains, wood finishes, bluing, browning, some know how, and a lot of patience. If your wife or girl friend doesn't like the smell of stains, linseed oil, bluing, or browning don't do it in the house. If you don't have anyone to help you watch some videos. Best to just start off with a nice factory rifle or pistol to get your feet wet.

I was in your shoes few years ago. I was looking for a nice rifle and upgrade from my CVA. I read a manure ton on information, I looked high and low. Kit gun vs Finished gu, I read out guys building guns for ya from a kit... the fact is. I took a hard long look at what I wanted and a realistic evaluation of my building skills. I was the guy who made the spice rack that fell apart in shop class.....

I ended up buying a David Pedredsoli PA long rifle and been for ever happy.

Give me a piece of steel and I can do something almost pretty good (I was a clockmaker), give me a piece of wood and the result could be surprising you : it will always be an unexpected gremlin.
I'm surprised myself sometime when touching wood : all time three times cut = three times too short... :D :D
All that for saying that all the guys fine or bad shooters, old with white hairs or young beginner do not always know build correctly a kit, and in that case buying a Pedersoli or brand other is the best way...

Pedersoli makes a good product, not great but good. The Locks work well, however the springs are machined and casted, so they’re kind of designed to break, and pedersoli has a huge parts businesses. Not a bad thing but its not uncommon for someone to break a mainspring once.

Latest posts

Back