• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It was one of "THOSE" days! But still better than work.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a long break a friend and I organised to go for a shot at a local property.
The clincher was I had just received the wads for an antique 14g I had acquired.
As the property owner was interested in having a go with black powder we were told to expect a visitor.
Keen to share my love of the holy black I took the following:
  • 14g Belgium perc. side by side
  • 50 CVA perc. double rifle
  • 45 perc. custom long rifle
  • 54 perc. Lyman Great Plains hunter
  • 54 CVA flintlock Mtn rifle
My mate brought out his Martini Henry and Zouave.

The trials and tribulations!
As the 14g was a dark horse we lent it against the spare tyre and tied it to my cast iron benchrest and sandbag. I had no string. I had bought it special and left it at home.
ended up tying a bit of leather thong to a ratchet strap to a horses bridle but got a workable solution.
While working up the shotgun the farmer, his visitor and his 2 daughters arrived.
After working up to a 3 dram square load it was time for the fun!

OK first they wanted to shoot the CVA flintock (the only flinter I brought) I had/have not fired it yet myself. I have bought it and redone the stock and metalwork. Part of the required work was to raise the trigger plate. That coupled with other work meant the set trigger bore on the sear (I had not releived it enough). Leaving the trigger touchy at best.
As it was loaded I fired it by pulling and releasing the hammer which did not hold but fell forward and fired (thankfully). After it was empty I worked the hammer and kerthunk! something happened inside the lock. It was jammed solid (the Mainspring had escaped!).

So out comes the Lyman.
The Lyman is my go to rifle BUT I have found that RWS percussion caps (all I could get) do not fit well. Some fit down properly and some don't).
Not the best impression I could have made with about 1 in 3 needing a second strike. But we all got a shot.

Now time for the 14g. Long story short I got distracted more than once and forgot to put powder in two loads and my nipple wrench would not fit. Having said that we eventually got the overpowder card and everything else out.
Eventually we all managed to shoot a few clays with it.

WHAT A BLAST

We forgot the ammo for the Martini.

My mate did not realise that the Zouave uses different caps and we had no musket caps

Did not even get to shoot the Double rifle or the Kentucky.

After 3 1/2 hours it is time to clean up. The head of the jag broke off in the CVA!!!! Eventually managed to catch the remaining few threads and extract the Jag head and using the dremel cut a slot in the part broken in the 067.jpg cleaning rod and unscrew it. Fixing the trigger on the CVA is still an ongoing issue.

Ah well I have learned a lot and learning more. Much better than a day at work :)

Shooting black powder is a bit like riding an old motorcycle (another hobby of mine) wrench, ride, repeat as the saying goes! Regardless it is far more rewarding and enjoyable than the instant gratification of the modern equivalents. Sounds like you had fun and at the very least got to introduce a few folks to the hobby! Kudos!

This makes me feel a lot better about my own experiences. It seems I always forget something. And having friends or club members as witness only make me feel worse. I made a promise to test fire a gun at home and try to stay focused with one at a time. Or one 'special' gun and some modern gun for a backup plan. A day shooting can be like packing up to move. So much "stuff". Even with center fire, I bring the wrong ammo or something. Such as neck sized for the wrong gun! I keep notes on every gun and then I forget to read or bring the notes!

I have to agree the worst day shooting or hunting, beats the best day working (even if retired, then call it home working)

I know the feeling. I didn't seem to use to have problems but at one point it always seemed to happen. Something break, something stuck, no tool to fix the problem or I would forget something. Once I forgot the ramrod and once I started a ball that was a size too big and din't realize it until I had it in too far and nothing to get it out. It got to where I started to bring extra guns just in case I had a problem with one, I could at least shoot something as to not have a wasted trip. I also mad up a bag with an assortment of tools for minor repairs. I think most of us have had a problem at one point or another. Just have to do out best to over come these little problems.

Back