• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It needs something...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like that a lot. What method did you use to do it?
Thanks. Marked off the lines with a pencil and a small square. The U gouge is 1/8” that I use for detail work when wood carving. It’s very sharp. Dark stained the cuts with a fine brush. Used some alcohol on a rag to wipe any excess.

Appreciate all the suggestions, tips and replies! I won't be updating this post anymore. I went to town and picked up a few items from Hobby Lobby to well, change it some. Got home, proceeded to screw the bag up and just threw it in the scrap pile! I'm not going into detail so, best to just let this die and I'll save up for a real nice one I don't have to do anything to! :rolleyes: ☕
Unless you did something permanent to the main body of the bag, I'm betting it can be salvaged. Might have to rip some seams and restitch.

Unless you did something permanent to the main body of the bag, I'm betting it can be salvaged. Might have to rip some seams and restitch.
It probably can but, I just got frustrated with it and put it in the scrap pile for a while. Knowing me, I'll pull it out again one day and fiddle with when I'm over being mad at myself. In the meantime, I'll just look for something else that I won't want to meddle with when I get it. 😁

I got bored a bit tonight so, thought I'd try and salvage the bag. I had to cut off the fringe as that was the part I really messed up. Guess it'll do as a back up shooting bag or field bag for my squirrel gitter setup.

thumbnail_IMG_0891.jpg

I got bored a bit tonight so, thought I'd try and salvage the bag. I had to cut off the fringe as that was the part I really messed up. Guess it'll do as a back up shooting bag or field bag for my squirrel gitter setup.

View attachment 188332
Good save! Now, just to stain that fresh cut where the fringes were and you're good to go - I like it. I knew you would pull it out of the pile:D

I like it SantiamSam. I'm a minimalist aesthetic, myself. I think it has that understated classic look that will only get better with a bit of stress and patina. Or, perhaps a line of punch holes to accentuate the lovely curve on the flap. I've taken a liberty here to demonstrate.

Kindest regards, Pete

View attachment 186407
When hunting...simplicity says it all....awesome bag.

Thanks everyone, greatly appreciate the encouragements and replies! I filled it with shooting equipment last night and do believe, I like it myself. As quoted by a member above, some field time and it start look right proper! :thumb:

When I "tool" leather, I do it with the leather wet, just like tooling leather from Tandy's which is generally thicker & unfinished. Might not be the correct way, but it seems to me to imprint rather than cut. Dad made holsters, belts, etc. left me his leather crafting tools & books. Kinda fun. Hard to screw up.

Back