• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beaver tail style shooting pouch PC/era

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Simple question, does anyone know when the “beaver tail” style bag flap came into vogue? Was this a later style bag say 1800s or might you have seen a bag with such a flap earlier say rev war or pre rev? Say something like this.

Attachments

• 8FB862B9-F4AA-4462-85B0-BF9588FABF61.jpeg
    8FB862B9-F4AA-4462-85B0-BF9588FABF61.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
I'm guessing at later. But remember we have very few examples of Revolutionary War and pre-Revolution bags to work from.
Also, absolutes are sketchy at best, but, an example of one compared to an example of 10 does have meaning.

The bigger pc/hc issue with the bag shown for Rev/pre-Rev is the metal rings for attaching the strap. The double buckles are questionable too, but the rings aren't right.

Paintings are unfortunately poorly detailed for the most part. Even Miller tends toward small black squares with a button
During Mountain man times saddle makers made shooting bags, and we have a few plainsman era bags that are pretty elaborate.
Just a theory on my part with absolutely no proof, or even suggestive evidence, but here goes.
Starting about 1820 we see a shift on American rifles to the beaver tail cheek peice. I bet the bag came along at that same time

I'm guessing at later. But remember we have very few examples of Revolutionary War and pre-Revolution bags to work from.
Also, absolutes are sketchy at best, but, an example of one compared to an example of 10 does have meaning.

The bigger pc/hc issue with the bag shown for Rev/pre-Rev is the metal rings for attaching the strap. The double buckles are questionable too, but the rings aren't right.
Awesome info hadn’t even crossed my mind about the hardware! Thank you!

Paintings are unfortunately poorly detailed for the most part. Even Miller tends toward small black squares with a button
During Mountain man times saddle makers made shooting bags, and we have a few plainsman era bags that are pretty elaborate.
Just a theory on my part with absolutely no proof, or even suggestive evidence, but here goes.
Starting about 1820 we see a shift on American rifles to the beaver tail cheek peice. I bet the bag came along at that same time
That was my guess also, fur trade era.

Back