• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It appears that…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
some folks go to supreme efforts to make trouble for themselves concerning dry balling, getting manure stuck in their barrels whether or not tools or whatever type of projectile they wish to shoot! I’m of the opinion that READING before hand prior to DOING would solve many of these issues because in the final analysis this game isn’t rocket science and does not require a PhD to enjoy the game!

some folks go to supreme efforts to make trouble for themselves concerning dry balling, getting manure stuck in their barrels whether or not tools or whatever type of projectile they wish to shoot! I’m of the opinion that READING before hand prior to DOING would solve many of these issues because in the final analysis this game isn’t rocket science and does not require a PHD to enjoy the game!
Read? You mean that ol' timey activity we were forced to do in school...with books an' all? Can't I just google it?

Honestly anyone who dry balls kinda scares me, what else are they forgetting, do they know the difference between black powder and smokeless powder, or which end of the barrel is the muzzle?

Been loading muzzle stuffers since the 70s.
NEVER have dry balled, Not once.

The army taught me a trick called "by the numbers"
After several decades, Its second nature.

Before the scamdemic, I even had a Lass come up to me while I was loading.
She gave me both barrels. I said, nice cannons, and powdered the pan, and fired the shot.
No one has tired since then.

Knock on wood, I have never done it. But it must happen often enough, because you can purchase ball pulling attachments all over the place.
I know I’m tempting fate, but I never have either in 40 plus years. Maybe I don’t shoot enough. But I think it’s mainly because I shoot alone without distractions. There have been a couple of times when shooting with my Sons that we had to stop and pour out a load of powder because we were talking and weren’t sure we did before ramming a patch and ball. So I can certainly see how it can happen a range with other people and all the distractions. But there’s still time for me to join the club.

Back