• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Islamic doglock musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
This popped up on youtube today and thought some might find it interesting . He claims it to be an original Islamic doglock musket in .69 caliber. Seems to be in very good condition for something from the 17th century . Anyone think this might be a repro from the 19th or 20th century ? I found it interesting non the less. Look at the size of that flint ! A very ornate and massive lock with almost black wood. Any "experts" on these types of weapons care to shed some light ? Carry on.

Very cool. Somehow I missed this Thread when it was posted earlier. What he is actually shooting is an original Algerian musket. And likely from the early to mid-19th century. The style of these huge miquelet locks was unique to these Algerian guns. Many think these muskets are older than they are. They were used by the locals through at least the 1880's.

Rick

Algerian Rifle-2 002 (Medium).jpg
Algerian Rifle-2 004 (Medium).jpg

Interesting, thanks for the info and pics. When I posted this back in August and got no replies, I figured there was just no interest in this kind of thing. Glad to see someone with some knowledge chime in. -Thanks

To stop the top jaw from twisting when the dual-handled top screw is tightened? My best guess ...

@rickystl???

View attachment 277393
What you're calling the Post is not part of the dog. It's just a flat guide to align the top and bottom jaws together. Just like other miquelet type locks. The difference here is the guide is forged into the TOP jaw versus the bottom jaw like you see on most miquelet locks.
Another interesting feature with these Algerian locks: While it's believed they originated from the earliest Spanish locks, the mainspring operated on the toe of the cock versus the heel, ala Roman lock style. The only reason for that small spring behind the dog catch is limit the backward travel of the dog catch when going to the cock firing position. The cock moves back just enough to get it out of the way when ready to fire. Also, on the front left corner of the lower jaw, there is a "flat" spot forged into the jaw to allow a smoother landing on the pan fence after firing. Many of these locks are actually maker marked and dated. I have a few of these locks. Let me see if I can find some other photos that will show more details. These locks are built so robust that I've never seen one with a broken mainspring.

Rick

I have seen a few of these (pictures), most all have the hole in the dog. Any idea why?
I think it has to do with releasing and/or holding the dog lock out of the way to release the sear. My lock does not have the spring so it stays released when pulled back. Which by the way takes effort and a tool that fit into the hole would definitely help. However, the hole does not show wear as I would expect if it was used in this manner.
William

Attachments

• 20231220_095333.jpg
    20231220_095333.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_095314.jpg
    20231220_095314.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 0
I think it has to do with releasing and/or holding the dog lock out of the way to release the sear. My lock does not have the spring so it stays released when pulled back. Which by the way takes effort and a tool that fit into the hole would definitely help. However, the hole does not show wear as I would expect if it was used in this manner.
William
It’s just decorative serves no real purpose, like bevels on a spring it’s just style

Latest posts

Back