• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is Tru-Oil safe for inlays

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windsor

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Once I'm done with whiskering and staining, I am going to apply BC Tru-Oil and Stock Sheen and Conditioner. I have already inlaid a hunter's star in the cheek piece. Is it OK to run the Tru-Oil and Sheen stuff over this brass inlay? Should I avoid it at all costs?

when your done finishing your gun buff off finish on inlays with steel wool as any finish will dull the surface of the inlay.
jb

Windsor, I used Tru Oil on my Hawken I built. The patchbox inlay was already in when I got it and I couldnt get it out so I had to work across it with the oil.

In my experience it wont ruin your inlay but it will leave a coating on the metal.

I would be very wary of the bonding of the tru-oil to the brass. I do not know but would be inclined to think you would get a nice looking finish with a high probability of flaking :( with a bit of normal usage...

rick, it does flake off the metal quite quickly. Well mine did. :hmm:

You should be able to "push" it off with your fingernail when it dries, but a soft dry cloth should wipe it off when wet.I've never had it mess up any metal.

Perhaps it is a case of overkill but when I'm using Tru-Oil to finish my inlayed stocks I cover the inlay with cellophane tape.
After applying the tape I trim it to the exact edge of the inlay with a pointed razor knife.
After I'm finished with the coating (and light sanding between coats) I then remove the tape.

You might note I said cellophane tape, not Magic Tape. I've used the Magic Tape and it worked well however it's adhesive is a lot stronger, and it is thinner making it more difficult to remove when I'm done. I have found that the use of Rubbing Alcohol helps with this.

zonie :)

Thanks everyone. I will try Zonie's trick or perhaps wipe it off while it is still wet. I neglected to mention that I still have the trigger plate installed, so I'd have to worry about that too. Could be tough to tape that up, so perhaps I'll do a combination of the two. Thanks! :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back