• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is this possibly a joke?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mentioned the FoxFire book that has building a long rifle in it. I don't personally have that one, I think it's #5 maybe? I only have the first 3 editions. So I can't say exactly what is shown in that edition. If this is not someones idea of a joke, I almost think he may have used that book as a guide to build his. Unless someone who has that book and can say that there is no similaritys to the book.

I sit here looking at my first build, the one I was so proud of, now I keep it in the closet. As bad as that one is it is not as bad as the rifle in question. Thinking of taking my first build, restocking it and converting it to flintlock. With a 13/16" 45cal barrel 36" long it should make a handy dandy deer rifle. HELP, there is no cure for the builder flu.

Swampy said:
I mentioned the FoxFire book that has building a long rifle in it. I don't personally have that one, I think it's #5 maybe?

It's Foxfire 5. And one of the builders featured is a young Hershel House. The sleek and simple rifle he puts together for the article using hand tools except for the jigsaw shaping of the stock blank would sell for a lot more than $550 and is a thing of beauty. Also Jim Chambers, Bud Siler, Bill Large, etc.

They did a great job gathering info and it's a book well worth having (including how to make a bog-iron forged barrel, salt-peter and knap raw flint nodules).

Nothing in the issue looks like the Gunbroker gun. :wink:

Stumpkiller said:
Swampy said:
I mentioned the FoxFire book that has building a long rifle in it. I don't personally have that one, I think it's #5 maybe?

It's Foxfire 5. And one of the builders featured is a young Hershel House. The sleek and simple rifle he puts together for the article using hand tools except for the jigsaw shaping of the stock blank would sell for a lot more than $550 and is a thing of beauty. Also Jim Chambers, Bud Siler, Bill Large, etc.

They did a great job gathering info and it's a book well worth having (including how to make a bog-iron forged barrel, salt-peter and knap raw flint nodules).

You got that right!

Exactly. If the builder were to post pics here asking for input, no doubt he would receive encouragement and direction. But seeing it for sale makes it so much more... strange. Anyhow, props for the effort I reckon.

I'm not in favor of ridiculing anyone's honest effort. However when you offer something like this for sale with an opening bid of $550 you do kind of leave yourself wide open.

Stumpkiller said:
Swampy said:

Ok, I never seen the book and wasn't aware what or who was in it. I only knew it was one issue I wanted but still have not gotten.

Seeing this rifle(?) reminds me of one that was built by a local police officer. He bought a Tennessee mountain rifle kit and replaced every steel screw with bright, shiny brass Phillips screws. Very proud of it, he was. Noone had the heart to tell him about his error in judgement.

Sounds like a good idea for a Christmas present :grin:

I've worn out my original and bought another a few years back...When I built my first I went by this book and later in the build I bought the first Herschel House video and work book...

It also has the late Bob Watts in there...The first flintlock that I bought was from Bob back in 1977...

I need a new FF 5. I've had mine for years and the binding has been letting go. Several days ago, it was accidently knocked off my desk, fell to the floor and exploded. I gotta a lot of taping and gluing to do. :redface:

The Foxfire series was great and Wiggington did a great job with those kids in getting all that folklore over the years. Shame he turned out to be a pedophile.

Heh heh, I planned on getting all of them too after I got Number 5 (the most important one :grin: ), but never did. The price kept getting higher for them and I always seemed short of money. When I want to check something out in one of the others, I just go to the library and check one out. They do make good readin'.
:thumbsup:

If I drink any more of this brown liquor, I might buy it.....

I bet I could fit it....

Maybe....

I love a challenge....

This makes me feel better about trying to build one. At worst I can only get the silver in the make an abomination category. :shake:

Now the real challenge can any builder here make this right??? If you can you are the MAN :bow: :bow: :bow:

Now fellers you are being really hard on this ole boy....he didn't do a bad........well the ......it's not that uhhh......I don't think it's uh.....well, never mind.

:idunno: :shocked2: :shocked2:

PGTMG said:
This makes me feel better about trying to build one. At worst I can only get the silver in the make an abomination category. :shake:

I've been thinking along the same lines these past few days. I've been putting off ordering a pistol kit from TVM for fear that I would turn out something like this. But after seeing this "offering", I know I can do much better.

Back