• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is this functional model cannon a 6 Pounder??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROBg

32 Cal
Reaction score
Greetings

I recently picked up this model bronze cannon with an iron and wood carriage that is 18" overall and 8" high.

Got some nice age to it and it is functional (not going to try it haha) with a touch hole.

I think it is a model of a 6 Pounder, but I am not sure if it is or what model it is supposed to be.

Perhaps it is a bit of fantasy.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Best Regards
Rob

Cannon 2.png
Cannon 3.png
Cannon 4.png
Cannon.png

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry it took so long to respond.

I will consider firing it for sure.

The photos are from the auction house i bought it from so not sure how they did it (better than my pictures haha).

Best Regards
Rob

Greetings

I recently picked up this model bronze cannon with an iron and wood carriage that is 18" overall and 8" high.

Got some nice age to it and it is functional (not going to try it haha) with a touch hole.

I think it is a model of a 6 Pounder, but I am not sure if it is or what model it is supposed to be.

Perhaps it is a bit of fantasy.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Best Regards
Rob

View attachment 269474View attachment 269475View attachment 269476View attachment 269477

Before you listen to all the experts on here get it checked out by someone who knows about such things unless you know about such things. Not fun being around a hand grenade when they go pop.

Hello Again

Not sure if this will help in the ID of the cannon but here is what I have found after receiving it. Certainly looks 1760-1790.

The Carriage is a Bracket style and the wood is painted green (along with the wooden parts of the wheels) and has black iron strapping all around both carriage legs. The colour is only visible with strong light due to the old yellowed / cracked varnish and patina.

The Elevation mechanism is gear driven and is cranked with the lever (works perfectly).

The wood wheels are of multi piece construction with individual spokes, hub and inner wheel. The iron outer wheel is bolted to the inner.

The level of detail is incredible.

Also looks like there might have been a Limber for towing at some point but it is now lost.

Best Regards
Rob

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg
IMG_0778.jpg
IMG_0782.jpg
IMG_0797.jpg
IMG_0801.jpg

Latest posts

Back