• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is this enough spark?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A diamond wheel will not only touch up cut agate "flints" but make them from scratch if you have a diamond saw. The coarsest diamond hone that you carry in your shooting bag can touch up the edge of a rounded agate but English and French gun flints can be knapped and depending on bevel up or bevel down can sharpen slightly rather than just rounding the edge. I am having luck knapping my own gun flints from scraps or debitage from arrow points and stone knives but they take a lot of fussing with leather and shims to get right angle and distance from frizzen.

As Brokennock said your flint is hitting too low…
9F3E9B99-B887-4E66-9D38-3562E816B08B.jpeg

Get a longer flint and thinner leather in the jaws and give it a try.

Thicker leather will raise the flint so it can strike higher on the frizzen.

Actually try one layer of thicker leather under the flint to raise the start of the scrape on the steel (frizzen).

1. Get a French or English flint of the correct size.........2. The flint in the jaws is canted down , striking the lower about 3/8 " of the frizzen face....... 3. If the leather in the flint jaws is too thick , cut a "V" in the leather in front of the jaw screw so the flint is mounted as far back as is possible. The flint in your jaws is one of those cut flints and it looks to be the wrong size for the hammer jaws. There are two sides to those cut flints , and to make this one fit better , a slot for the jaw screw can be cut into the rear edge of the flint to allow the flint to sit further into the jaws. These suggestions will allow the flint to scrape the frizzen face further up on the frizzen. = more sparks... 4........The kinds of flint you show is very hard on a frizzen face..........Luck to ya......oldwood

If the flint sits further back into the jaws of the hammer, the edge of the flint will strike lower. You need a longer flint and you need the edge raised higher in the jaws. That's why I suggest one layer of leather under the flint to raise it.

Notching the wrap is a good idea allowing the use of longer flints and creates a more flexible wrap.

Back