• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is this a real traditional in line?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know (unmentionables) are off limits to post about. I have a good friend who has been in the traditional muzzleloading hobby since the 60's. He goes to gun shows frequently and saw this picture (I have two more of the same gun). He did not see the gun, but thinks since there were (according to him) actual traditional in line actions, this might be one. I am asking if anyone knows if this is a traditional gun or not. IMG_0143 by Larry(Omaha), on Flickr]Link[/url]

Anyone wearing a SPAM hat that has his table and counter covered with a pile of stuff can't be all bad. :grin:

As for the gun, it looks like something cobbled up by someone who wanted something different to me.

Kind of a turned around underhammer with a brace to help hold the barrel on.

I can say, I've never seen another gun like it.

Wow!...I don't know what that is, but...I hope the mods allow it.

It's basically an underhammer with the nipple in the wrong place.....

Way cool!... :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

How about the 1863 Lindsay musket? OK, it was a 2-shot superimposed shooter, but both shots were "in-line" with nipples at the rear of the breech plug. These guns are quite different from stainless steel, plastic/polymer, telescoped, sabot-shooters.

Read Ned Robert's book on cap lock rifles. It speaks of the unspeakables in it... and was written in 1940s, concerning unspeakables built in (if I recall) the 1880-1890s time frame.

But we can't speak of them here. You're in flintlock and "the passing fad known as the percussion cap" country, pard, and the mods will be all to happy to ding your hide for mentioning anything newer.

I have never seen one like that, but have owned a couple of in-line smooth bores. The Hall was an in-line. Maybe time to change the rules and say no modern in-lines!
Nit Wit

Now that thing has been designed by a very, very clever person.
To keep it so simple.
O.M

Is this a real traditional in line?

Well if it's a copy of something made in the caplock era, which I normally put at pre 1870..., then I'd probably say YES.

If it's a design from post 1870 to 1901, you'd get a "maybe" and if it's a design from any time in the 20th century..., then I'd say NOPE.

The only major differences that I see between that and a TC Scout is the action in the Scout is enclosed, and you pull the breech plug to clean a Scout.

LD

Probably used in the some of the open matches at Friendship. There are some inline shotguns and pistols that also slip inside the rules on mainside. Couldn't use that on the Primitive side.

It looks like it could be old enough, but without some provenance, one couldn't really claim it as such.

One poster claimed 1870 as a cutoff point, but I think that is stretching things, with the exception of some guns built in pre-CW style. If it is a post CW concept gun, I would not call it traditional.

looks like something cobbled up by someone who wanted something different

Not just wanted something different but could be part of a search for a better shooter. On the bench rest ranges at bigger shoots one will see some really strange designs. All (hopefully) built to be more accurate than the competition. IMHO, that would/should be acceptable at most ranges. Would have to research NMLRA rules for specific info though.

Let's see.....
loads from the muzzle
uses a #11 cap
wood stock
fixed breech
exposed hammer
fixed metallic sights
Brass inlay
brass patchbox
brass buttplate
Kentucky style buttstock.
H&A style mainspring assembly
19th century style metal work.

Sounds like a traditional muzzleloader to me ....Or at least a faithful representation.

Back