• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is muzzleloading an addiction?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is an addiction. NO CURE, only treatment! Treatment consists of smelling the black powder smoke. The more treatment you get the more you need you need.

I will say that the satisfaction of lighting off a beautiful longrifle and sending forth the lead ball with a blast of smoke and fire, the smell of the smoke, the girthy BOOM and when the smoke clears, the hole in the mark or the game taken, is just rewarding and interesting. I gain so much more pleasure from a relaxing day with my muzzleloading rifles than ANY modern gun. The fact that it is SO MUCH more economical (as far as price of ammunition goes) over the modern guns is a big benefit for me. I can shoot for several hours at a time and spend about the same money as a decent fast food meal.

And even just looking at a nice muzzleloader or picking it up and shouldering it is satisfying! What other guns looks so beautiful? So much work and craftsmanship went into every handmade piece of these old guns (and new ones being made by folks) and they are overflowing with artistic beauty and quaint soul. No modern gun comes close, even the silhouette of a good longrifle is beautiful and immediately identifiable.

Couple all of this with a connection to our past ancestors and an entirely different way of life, when this country was so young and wild, when men were huddled about campfires worried about bears and Indians, or walking around stalking game in beautiful forests that are now urban sprawl and parking lots, when the nation was evolving and growning and daily survival depended on these beautiful guns... wow, what a different world and what a great way to experience a slice of the past.

Before I got into traditional muzzleloaders, I didn’t know how much fun shooting could be... and I already LOVED to go shooting! I’ve met so many friendly people on the firing line and at rondys and events back East (not much here in Vegas that isn’t many many hours away). There is a whole cottage industry surrounding the hobby and the areas of interest and routes to explore border on endless. How fascinating this all is, and I really like it! :)

I recently discovered the world of flintlocks. I had tried shooting these before but was beginning to think that it would be impossible to overcome my “flinchitis” reaction to the flash in the pan. Instead, it’s given me a real follow thru ability that probably will help in all of my shooting.

I began to wonder if I would still be able to have fun shooting my cap guns but found they still are fun. Even shooting a cartridge gun can still be fun. I just thought this is an interesting development into an area of shooting that I never thought I would have much fun in doing.

So, I would say to go ahead and try those new things about our mutual addiction. Now, I hope artillery doesn’t grab my fancy. Lord help me!

I will say that the satisfaction of lighting off a beautiful longrifle and sending forth the lead ball with a blast of smoke and fire, the smell of the smoke, the girthy BOOM and when the smoke clears, the hole in the mark or the game taken, is just rewarding and interesting. I gain so much more pleasure from a relaxing day with my muzzleloading rifles than ANY modern gun. The fact that it is SO MUCH more economical (as far as price of ammunition goes) over the modern guns is a big benefit for me. I can shoot for several hours at a time and spend about the same money as a decent fast food meal.

And even just looking at a nice muzzleloader or picking it up and shouldering it is satisfying! What other guns looks so beautiful? So much work and craftsmanship went into every handmade piece of these old guns (and new ones being made by folks) and they are overflowing with artistic beauty and quaint soul. No modern gun comes close, even the silhouette of a good longrifle is beautiful and immediately identifiable.

Couple all of this with a connection to our past ancestors and an entirely different way of life, when this country was so young and wild, when men were huddled about campfires worried about bears and Indians, or walking around stalking game in beautiful forests that are now urban sprawl and parking lots, when the nation was evolving and growning and daily survival depended on these beautiful guns... wow, what a different world and what a great way to experience a slice of the past.

Before I got into traditional muzzleloaders, I didn’t know how much fun shooting could be... and I already LOVED to go shooting! I’ve met so many friendly people on the firing line and at rondys and events back East (not much here in Vegas that isn’t many many hours away). There is a whole cottage industry surrounding the hobby and the areas of interest and routes to explore border on endless. How fascinating this all is, and I really like it! :)
THAT, sums it up very well

I feel your pain guys. Ive been rendezvousing my whole life, grew up shooting primitive bows and was always a stud at hawk & knife.15 years ago I built my first 1911 45 acp, since built hundreds of modern sporting firearms and precision long range rifles. And never had the slightest inclination to shoot BP even though all my friends and family did for years. And one day a little over 2 months ago I got a wild hair to build a rifle so I spent a couple weeks talking to MBS and got enough parts in a box to build a rifle. When I opened said box I was really intimidated by the amount of work I had ahead of me but with a little advise here and there from good guys it went relatively smooth. Now after 2 months of hard work I have a gorgeous rifle I'm super proud of and several new skills. Did I mention in the same amount of time I went from 0 black powders to 9 now lol. Addicted? Yeah but just a little...
Beautiful work

It is an addiction. NO CURE, only treatment! Treatment consists of smelling the black powder smoke. The more treatment you get the more you need you need.
As Kenny Chesney said, "one is one to many, one more is never enough".

Is it addicting? I read my first Dixie Gun Works catalog back in 1967 when I was 11. I don't think a day has since passed that I haven't thought about or took part in muzzleloading. Admittedly, it's the only addiction I have.

Smokey, you have a beautiful way with words, describing the spiritual and historical aspects of our endeavor. I don't know any of us who would not like to have lived in America in it's early days, dangers and struggles notwithstanding. Imagine the early gunsmiths being able to produce such art and practical weaponry in the context of such an existence. I understand in Bedford Co. Pennsylvania, the frontier was at the 'smith's front door, and during the time of their craftsmanship, it was still very possible to be killed by Native Americans in raids. But can you imagine living in a time (1850) when the virgin forest in the east extended from the coastal plantations all the way across the Mississippi river? It was said at one time a squirrel could travel the length of Pennsylvania and never touch the ground. My dad once took me to a ten acre tract of land close to Many, Louisiana, where he was raised, and showed me a preserved tract of virgin pine timber. My God, the trees were in excess of six feet in diameter and 100 ft. to the first limb! No underbrush, it was like walking in a cathedral. I was about 9 or 10 years old, and the memory is still fresh. To have hunted in woods like that, walking for days! Thank you for your post, Smokey, your addicted muzzleloading friend George.

I have just purchased a black powder shotgun and am looking to purchase cleaning gear and appropriate accessories for shooting and caring for the weapon.

I am looking for some assistance in getting started with muzzleloading. Where to buy age-appropriate gear (the shotgun was made in the 1820-30’s)?

thank you in advance,

daleallen

BTW does GOEX make a black powder patch?

Accept no substitutes for the original. Get your fix one properly measured horn or flask pour at a time. ("rolling your own" paper cartridges is also acceptable)

I have just purchased a black powder shotgun and am looking to purchase cleaning gear and appropriate accessories for shooting and caring for the weapon.

I am looking for some assistance in getting started with muzzleloading. Where to buy age-appropriate gear (the shotgun was made in the 1820-30’s)?

thank you in advance,

daleallen
For cleaning stuff I would recommend Callahan bag molds, track of the Wolf has shot pouches and measures. Townsend has clothing of 1830s period.
I think Track also has some 1830s shooting bags. Also extra ramrods.
Turkey foot traders offers some bags for the time. October country offers some good bags.

To me, center fires aren't fun anymore. Now black powder on the other hand, can't get enough.

After years of indulging in centerfire military surplus guns, i'm pretty much in the same boat. While I still love what I got, I find myself reaching to take the P53 out more often than any other gun in my safe. Might have to let some of them go to make room for a couple more muzzlestuffers in the coming years.

An addiction? NO!!! Addiction has a negative connotation. Referring to flintlocks, I much prefer “A fine and pleasant misery” per Patrick F. McManus.
1589494786201.png

Back