• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is it the Set Trigger or the Lock Problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jh45gun

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just noticed on my ball shooter with left hand lock bought from TOTW. This was a Chambers lock kit that I was not sure about it after I put it togther so I sent it to Chambers to check it out. He sent it back and it was working. Anyway my problem is when I set the set trigger and pull the front one it clicks then goes back to the rest of the way like it would if I had not set the trigger. So I am guessing where it clicks is where it should trip the hammer and it does not. So it is acting like a single trigger not a set one. Also the adjustment screw does nothing as the set trigger is not working as should or is it a fly problem with the lock? Any suggestions would be helpfull though the trigger as is is not that bad. Still having the set trigger would be nice. Safety half cock works fine.

I'm not sure how your set trigger is set up but all of mine have have a rear spring that puts tension on the rear trigger. If the screw that holds that spring is too loose you will not have enough tension to trip the sear. Tighten that screw up a little and see how that works.

I had the screw work loose on me a few months back and I got the same problems you were having. I just pulled the triggers and tightened up that screw and everything was better again.

If the lock works OK with the front trigger only then there is something stopping the rear trigger. Try Mike's suggestion above as a first step, putting more tension on the spring may well do it. Could also be the little set screw under the trigger spring which regulates how high the rear blade stands, maybe not allowing enough upward movement. Could also be that wood is stopping that rear blade from kicking up high enough to trip the sear. Could also be that your triggers are set too far forward so that the end of the front trigger catches the sear but the rear trigger can't pivot up enough to touch it.
Could be witchcraft, did you trail any cross black cats under the full moon? :grin:

I like Mike's idea as a first to correct your problem. I have a Santa Fe and it was doing what you describe. Set the trigger and click. Had to increase the tension on the set trigger spring and it fires every time. Only now it's a lot harder to set the trigger it must take a 10 # pull.
Fox :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replys guys will check that spring tomorrow and let ya all know if that was the problem. Jim

A quick and easy test, with hammer at full cock and muzzle pointed in a safe direction, push forward on the rear trigger, with enough pressure that will drop the hammer. If so, then all is well and you just need more "kick" to work properly. If not, then either something is stopping that blade from rising enough to trip the sear, or, if it goes quite far forward without resistance, then the problem is trigger position is wrong in relation to sear bar location.

Thanks guys the screw that adjusts the spring tension needed to be adjusted. I know it worked before not sure why the screw for the spring tension got out of wack but it did. All is working fine now thanks. Jim

I have had that happen before a couple of times, a little blue Locktite on the threads of that screw will cure it.
:thumbsup:

Glad you got it fixed, however, it would have saved a lot of guess work if you had mentioned up front that "it used to work and then quit". I was under the assumption that this was a new build and thus a multitude of things could have been wrong, including the relative position of lock and triggers. kindly give us all the facts my friend. :grin:

Sorry I thought I gave enough facts. :redface: :redface: :redface: The odd part was the set screw was pushing the spring up not the other way around so maybe I mistakenly tightened it as I cannot see how a set screw would move a spring by itself. :confused:

Latest posts

Back