• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is FFFG the Cause

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are happy with the accuracy, why worry about patch condition. I have rifle that leaves patches looking like dirty lint balls but the gun shoots just fine.
Not worried about but because it’s been discussed on the forum a lot I’m wondering what it indicates. Get everything right and maybe distance accuracy will be better.
Time for my devils deciple role.

If your patches are cut, burned through or shredded there's only a few possible causes; tearing at the Muzzle when loading, getting sliced by sharp edges when loading or shooting, an under sized patch or a patch too thin.

It's NOT a lube problem. When your bore, muzzle and patch size are right you can shoot without lube and your patches will not be damaged.

Fillers. Over powder wads, etc might help but they are just band aides. When the muzzle, bore and patch are right you will be able to shoot max charges without wrecked patches. Shooting max charges may not be your goal but it is a test of gun condition and patching. Thereafter you need not worry about that aspect of your loading and can play with the other variables.

Feeling cranky today 😕
Every ball is a tough start, takes some serious 🥊 with the round ball starter. Heard about just hand pressing in the ball, not possible. Eases up 3 or 4 inches down the bore. Figured it’s typical. Nothing sharp I’m aware of.

Been working on sighting in my TC Hawken. Accuracy is good with 70gr of 3F Triple 7. But the patches are looking pretty poor. Burned through and very frayed. Patches are pre-lube pillow ticking. Thinking the cause may be the increased burn rate of the 3F. Good assumption or ?
I have always used a pre-lubed felt cushion was between powder and PRB. That helps with tighter groups. Frayed patches can end up in good condition using the wad. In your case. the patches you depict are not all that bad. I'd try a wad though.some people just run another patch down instead of a wad.

?? STIR IT? He LL I been putting it uncooked, will try the correct way and report back!
TC Hawkens were / are notorious for a ball skipping the rifling occasionally. The shallow Button cut rifling is more effective for maxi ball type ammo. The groups you are getting very good I would not worry

Just how long do you stir your Malt’oMeal?

Lets keep in mind the health implications, particularly for we older guys.
ML filler should be simple and affordable yet healthy; personally I use MacKensies Natural Bran for 3 reasons
1. Its Scottish albeit made in Australia.
2. Its lightly granulated (accepted that big wurds arent USMC frundly) enabling an easy measure from a conventional Powder flask; and
3. Its a healthy sans refined sugar laden alternative, that might possibly endear we older guys to an elderly Hippie chickie babe with loose morals (dunno about the other bits though).

Attachments

• BP Filler.jpg
    BP Filler.jpg
    1,010.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Bran container.jpg
    Bran container.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Lets keep in mind the health implications, particularly for we older guys.
ML filler should be simple and affordable yet healthy; personally I use MacKensies Natural Bran for 3 reasons
1. Its Scottish albeit made in Australia.
2. Its lightly granulated (accepted that big wurds arent USMC frundly) enabling an easy measure from a conventional Powder flask; and
3. Its a healthy sans refined sugar laden alternative, that might possibly endear we older guys to an elderly Hippie chickie babe with loose morals (dunno about the other bits though).
I am in favor of all of these items in no particular order

Every rifle I had that cut patches had a sharp edge at the crown. That said, I did try to shoot some loose weave .010 ticking in my .54 one time; my gun turned them into a ball of fluff. If I shoot my normal .018 pocket drill patches in a new gun and they come out cut, I look at the crown first.
Agree 110%.

Back