• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is a Fiberglass Ramrod Really Bad For a Muzzle-Loader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey we could make a buck or two if we invented a wooden ram-rod with a steel, brass, fiberglass or aluminum core I bet.

It's already been done, A guy in California did it, PeriodRamrod.com but he recently retired. They had steel cores. They were nice too.

Is a Fiberglass Ramrod Really Bad For a Muzzle-Loader?

No.

Maybe...If you use care, common sense and not use your ramrod like they do in a Warner Brother's cartoon. A ram rod, a real ram rod (not homemade manure made out of old arrows, golf clubs and stuff like that) of any type whether steel, fiberglass or wood should give years of service if you respect what it is and use it accordingly.
I agree,
I've used a fiberglass rod for years and years.I purchased it from a fellow member here.. No issues whatsoever. The reason I went to fiberglass is that I had a wooden one break on me while loading a tight patched ball. Luckily I had my hand close to the muzzel when it let loose and the breakage was contained inside the barrel. With that being said, I've not noticed any premature wear on my muzzle end and I use no muzzle protector.

I have a range rod that is what I'll call plastic. It can bend, but doesn't show signs of having fibers like a fiberglass fishing rod...Would this be a delrin rod? I use a rod guide when loading so am not real concerned about muzzle erosion of the crown. I only use the wooden rod that came with the gun when I'm hunting since I'm only going to be loading maybe at most 2 shots with it on a clean barrel. I also use a short starter to make loading easier.

When I bought my Trade rifle I ordered a Delrin rod right away. I never intend to use the wooden one that came with it. I keep it for looks but the Delrin rod is for using. Dont know if Delrin is fiberglass or not. Said to be unbreakable and you can nearly tie it in a knot without snapping. That is what Im using and dont care what anybody says. I am the boss of me.:rolleyes:

Hey we could make a buck or two if we invented a wooden ram-rod with a steel, brass, fiberglass or aluminum core I bet.
Too late - someone already made/makes a wood rammer with a steel core. Last I'd heard, the owner/operator was ill and not producing (any) more rammers...

Invent a paper frying pan and you'll get rich
Figure out how to burn water then you will get filthy rich.

I wish I was on good terms with the first wife. She was such a bad cook that she's the only one I know that could burn water.

At the time I was afraid to ask her for the secret; fearing that should would either be encouraged to keep feeding me stuff that looked like it flew back out of the garbage disposal or she'd take it as an insult.

Either way I would lose but ultimately did anyway.

...and you can nearly tie it in a knot without snapping.
Kinda' defeats the purpose. A rammer should have a little flex but not so much that it is floppy.
I still don't understand this irrational fear of Hickory rammers...

Kinda' defeats the purpose. A rammer should have a little flex but not so much that it is floppy.
I still don't understand this irrational fear of Hickory rammers...

I impaled my hand on a wooden ramrod on my .32. It didn't take long to do it, probably the second time out, and it was probably my fault. I can't remember what I replaced it with.

From my experience I know the Fiberglass Rods are a heck of a chore to get out of a Barrel after having a 50 cal ball slammed into them. A new member at my club did this about 5 years ago now. We all use steel or Brass ramrods up here.

Back