• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Irrefutable proof: lets document how effective PRBs are this fall.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm sure a great many of the people on this forum will be hunting this fall and much game will be taken using the PRB. Why don't we try to document this as irrefutable proof that PRBs are still indeed effective projectiles? You could post the location, type of gun, load, distance of the shot(s) and the size and type of game taken. Pictures might be good too. This kind of data would prove PRBs effectiveness and go a long way in dispelling any attempts to ban PRBs for hunting purposes.

If this belongs on the hunting forum, so be it..........

Mad Professor said:
I'm sure a great many of the people on this forum will be hunting this fall and much game will be taken using the PRB. Why don't we try to document this as irrefutable proof that PRBs are still indeed effective projectiles? You could post the location, type of gun, load, distance of the shot(s) and the size and type of game taken. Pictures might be good too. This kind of data would prove PRBs effectiveness and go a long way in dispelling any attempts to ban PRBs for hunting purposes.

If this belongs on the hunting forum, so be it..........
Why wait...start it up right now...there are already a lot of photos of deer taken with PRB's...can then share the link with wildlife departments, etc

Good idea! Will plan on taking the digital camera with me this year...

Here's a small start;

One squirrel
.490 round ball
70 grains Goex 2F
@ 15 yards
overkill, yes.

scan0001-1.jpg

I'll try and add a deer next month. :grin:

I will share what information I have on any deer
taken, but everytime I take a camera on a hunt,
I get blanked. So, for 8 or 10 years I have
not taken a camera, and have been quite successful. I know it's VOO-DOO, but it works for me.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Saturday, October 14, 2006. Town of Forestport (WMU 5H), Oneida County, State of New York. 50 caliber percussion, 1:48 twist, Remington #11 cap, 70 grains Goex FFFg, .490 Speer round ball, T/C prelubed patch. 110 pound (dressed weight) whitetail buck (small 'un!) at 75 ACTUAL yards, not guessed. In and out. Took only one lung, not sure how that happened, also left the heart intact. Ball entered at exact piont of aim.

I have taken deer with 50 caliber PRB's every year but two since 1979. Conicals have never shot well from any of my other muzzleloaders until this little CVA Bobcat that I used on the above date. If they make PRB's illegal, I'll be an outlaw. PERIOD. What insanity! The bow season and the muzzleloading seasons were originally created to be "PRIMITIVE" Seasons!!! Now, people with compound bows actually INSIST that it is a "PROVEN FACT" that any longbow or recurve is incapable of taking deer-size game! So help me, I have been told that to my face by sincere, solemn hunters who think that "I" am giving the sport a bad name! Now inlines and powerbelts and such are going to do the same? So help me God, I take more deer with muzzleloaders in any given year save those two mentioned than any of those "hunters" have ever taken in total with their infernal gadgetry. Their poop don't stink, nope, it's just like little rose petals falling from their butts. Just yesterday I was chided by a bowhunter over the telephone for NOT using a compound. "What do you shoot, then?" he asked me. When I told him, he went nuts on me. THEN, he begins to tell me that he has to go because his "buddy" needed help tracking a deer he shot, TWO DAYS EARLIER, but they couldn't find it because he hit it high in the chest and it was a pass-thru shot... THROUGH THE SHOULDER BLADES! - ...and that was where he was aiming... Two days of tracking, and still no retrieval. Absolutely an awful shot to take with a bow. If you bowhunt, you know what I mean... if you don't, well -- ask. My parting comment to him was, "Oh, so sad... and when they find it dead on an anti-hunter's lawn, you and your bunch will say that it was shot by a RECURVE OR LONGBOW guy without half a brain's worth of sense to KNOW that those kinds of bows CAN'T KILL DEER, right?" Yes, he laughed (sarcastically) and said he had to get going and then hung up.

PRB's, lonbows, recurves -- worked for centuries in warfare and hunting alike. I have absolutely nothing against technological advances, my evidence being that I am even visiting this site and typing a response - something that only a dozen or so years ago would have been a laughed-at concept. What I AM against, and what every thinking man and woman should also be against, is the stupidity of people thinking that technology is so much of a "shortcut" that it will also make up for THEIR SHORT-COMINGS. I mean, it's like the TERRIBLE idiot driver that buys a 4-wheel drive vehicle and thinks that they can drive the same as they used to, but now everything will be better... we've all seen the ditches filled with the results of such stupidity. Blithering idiots. No, surely not all, but by gum just find out the truth and USE COMMON SENSE!

As for me, I shoot my muzzleloaders better than I shoot any of my modern centerfire rifles and handguns. And I have consistently taken more deer each year with those same muzzleloaders, SHOOTING PRB's, than with all other means combined. And, it's worth mentioning this important fact: Where I live, and have always hunted, the shortest seasons are muzzleloading. ALWAYS. Which means this -- I carry my muzzleloaders afield LESS toatl carry time than any other single hunting implement. Now, that may just make sense to some, and help them realize that my hunting SUCCESS RATE with muzzleloaders is significantly higher than any other weapon. Period. Hands-down winner is PRB, at least in my hands. And I am not so vain as to think that my experience is unique among hunters; anyone hunting with the PRB is LIKELY (not an automatic given) to put in more time and care in the proper preparation and execution of both practice and hunting endeavors. Not an idiot mindset of "I just bought me a _____, let's go kill sumpin'!!! I'm a HUNTER!!!" yeah right... The absolute worst thing that happens is, when that sort actually DOES get lucky (little else that it can be called) and makes others think that they, too, will have the same experience.

Sorry for the long post. But, I've been keeping this to myself for way too long. I guess when I read where you said something about making them illegal, and that being the first time I'd heard about it, well -- sharp flint striking steel, and my powder went off. And naturally, I launched a PRB... with appropriate force.

Take care.

- Tim

Took a medium size 4 point whitetail buck this morning with my .54 using .526 rb and .015 patch with Lehigh Valey lube. 10 yards actual..still hunting on the ground...stalking works. obiteraed the heart and one lung.

It doesn't look like I'll be able to go for deer or elk this season. Living in the desert away from anywhere makes it quite an ordeal to get in a good hunt. Oh well, next season. There will be plenty of small game until then.

I don't see how the anti-PRB movement can gain much momentum. I'm very strongly for quick, humane kills. If the PRB didn't do that, I'd be against it with a gusto, but it DOES, and that's a fact proven over several hundred years of hunting.

Look at Tred Barta
he's taken a whole lot of animals in a whole lot of countries with nothing but the long bow and homemade wooden arrows

T/C shows a 175 grain .490 diameter round ball with 110 gr. of FFG at 2135 FPS and 1772 FT LBS

that sure seems like enough to take down deer. considering an average 30-30 ( well known for deer hunting) produces right around there if not less for energy.
though there is a good selection of bullets for a 30-30, i think a big fat heavy round ball with the same energy can sure do the job!

M. Spangler said:
Look at Tred Barta
he's taken a whole lot of animals in a whole lot of countries with nothing but the long bow and homemade wooden arrows

T/C shows a 175 grain .490 diameter round ball with 110 gr. of FFG at 2135 FPS and 1772 FT LBS

that sure seems like enough to take down deer. considering an average 30-30 ( well known for deer hunting) produces right around there if not less for energy.
though there is a good selection of bullets for a 30-30, i think a big fat heavy round ball with the same energy can sure do the job!

Hi Spangeler, good to see someone else here from "taxachusetts" is here. Yea 50 cal is in 30-30 range of ft/lbs, note that the laws here in mASS require 1800 ft/lbs for bear for centerfires, if you use a 30-30 it better be loaded with 170 gr projectile as 150 will make you a criminal (< 1880 ft/lbs).....thank God they still let you use any single projectile from a 45 cal or larger ML......Kind of makes you wonder ?

As far as arrows go I'd imagine a lot bigger animals were killed before we, as humans , even had a language or writing to record such feats. Critters were a lot bigger/maener then too.

More recently, look at what Fred Bear did in his lifetime with long bows, I wish I was half the hunter as he.

10/13/06 cowhorn (spike) buck, 75 yards, Hawken .50 cal, 75 gr pyrodex, PRB. Neck shot, severed the spine for an instant drop.

So far this year: 3 whitetail does, one elk, and one antelope doe and one buck. Whitetail deer 100 yards second from left elk 50 yards last on antelope buck 125 yards all open sight and all with a .58 cal Hawken 110gr of ffg made by ME!
DVC00098.jpg
DVC00099.jpg

yeah if a bunch of peoeple can take out a wooly mammoth with some atalatls (sp??) then i think the PRB will do just fine on a deer

Took my first BP mule deer (big doe) with .490 prb over 80gr. FFG at 60 yards. Went through at mid lungs and broke one offside rib. She dropped dead inside of 40 yards.
Great hunt...canoed across the N. Platte River and injuned up on a herd of 15 or so animals. Belly crawled the last 50 yds thru sagebrush to get w/i range. Never knew I was there until the gun went off. A GOOD hunt.
Trying for my first BP elk next month!

A nice spike buck at about 60 yards, with a .495 ball, and 80g of Pyrodex, out of a Lyman Deerstalker. The ball broke a rib going in and punched through both lungs, and exited at the back of the rib cage. My wife got a nice Doe at 75-90 yards with a .490 ball 70g of Goex 2f, fired from a Traditions Deerhunter. The ball went between the ribs, through one lung, liver and was under the hide at the back leg. Both Deer traveled about 100 yards and fell dead.

September 28: One 10-point mule deer with .535 Hornady, 100 grns Goex, Lyman GPR. Patch thickness remains a mystery to me. Shot was approximately 65 yards. Roundball passed behind ribcage on the near side, went through the lungs, broke ribs on the far side without penatrating the skin. I don't know any other scenario that would have made it a more devistating shot.

Hi,

here in germany hunting with muzzleloaders is very uncommon. Never understood why - it worked well for a few hundret years, didn´t it?
However, maybe I´ve got something for you.
I own a book, first printed in 1869, "the huntig-firearms" (title translated german-english of course). A very fine book, with lot of astounding knowledge from that time.

The author recommends conical bullets OR what he calls "Platzkugel", which I would translate "burst-ball"
Platzkugel1.jpg

Maybe someone of you would want to try it out and tune up an old bullet-mould or build a new one like that old shown in the picture...
The author recommends loading the bullet with the closed end in shooting direction. And he promises that an animal getting hit by this bullet will fall immediatly without making any more steps. He also recommends it for big game such as bears!

Last, but not least please excuse my surely not perfect english and all mistakes I maybe made...

romeoh

Thank you for the post, very interesting and I like your use of English, it adds another bit of interest, perfectly understandable.

Back