• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quick outing with smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After being on some restrictions for medical recovery, I got string enough to attempt a quick trek. I wanted some mixed-game for the pot so I loaded up the 20 gauge SXS and set out for a few early morning hours. First loading was 1 ounce of #5 Bismuth shot. I used the same scoop for the Fffg powder. Card wad, cushion wad over shot card. At sunrise I was in a make shift duck blind waiting for teal. The very first bird came at me and then made a slow U-turn. As it faced away I dropped it on the water with the first barrel. It did not twitch. It happened to be a blue winged drake, the first of that kind I’ve ever taken. In expected it to float to the edge but it got hung up in a spot of grass right in the middle. Being on my own property in the middle of nowhere I transitioned into a retriever by stripping down and swimming out there. I retrieved to hand like I’d been doing it all my life. My dog would be proud. Now all this obviously disturbed the pond and I didn’t need another duck anyway. I pulled the card on the second barrel, saved the Bismuth and replaced it with lead #8. The next several loads were 7/8 ounce scoop of powder and shot with appropriate wadding. The doves began to fly across my little intersection about 100-yards from the pond where I started. I knocked down a few, but had a heck of a time retrieving one due to the cactus. Not needing many for my intended dish, I quit at 10 shots and 3 birds in hand. The last stop was the brush row. Here I stuck with the 7/8 ounce load but went to 7.5 copper plated shot for the rabbit I was looking for. Side note- I purchased several sized shot and types in 10 pounds bags from Rotometals on-line. Price and shipping were reasonable and they got here quick. I am looking at patterns, effectiveness and variables so I can stay with some go-to loads for different purposes. Anyway, one pass down the brush row made a little buck rabbit step out onto the open dirt sendero. At 15- yards stationery this was no big challenge. I did decide to put the bead between the ears to mitigate any shot in the body. The rabbit rolled and inspection showed a few holes in face and one in neck, so my “aim” point seemed to work. A little less than 3 hours into my first day out in 2-weeks proved pleasant and successful. I enjoyed the simplicity of the whole morning.
59A25E08-5645-4F38-9124-231676854E28.jpeg
05888C33-64FD-4860-87F1-AD2B5C378B9F.jpeg
59A25E08-5645-4F38-9124-231676854E28.jpeg

Excellent, good for you. Glad you are recovering.
Warden doesn't come onto private property there?
Here, just having any lead shot on our person while duck hunting will get us in trouble. Just having the duck with us while obviously pursuing something else is all it takes.
We have a spot that we can hunt ducks at dawn on some flooded timber with a creek through it on the far side of some lowland corn fields, that often flood too, the can hunt pheasant on the way back to the truck across the mostly cut corn fields. Have to use non-toxic shot the whole time.

Good points. I only have non-toxic on me when in the pursuit of ducks, etc. that require it. Any lead shot is in the truck and each factory marked bag clearly says what it is. When I completed duck hunting I went to the truck and switched to the lead shot. How a Warden would know without some kind of testing I can't say, but per letter of law I do it right. No lead in possession when hunting migratory waterfowl, etc.

After being on some restrictions for medical recovery, I got string enough to attempt a quick trek. I wanted some mixed-game for the pot so I loaded up the 20 gauge SXS and set out for a few early morning hours. First loading was 1 ounce of #5 Bismuth shot. I used the same scoop for the Fffg powder. Card wad, cushion wad over shot card. At sunrise I was in a make shift duck blind waiting for teal. The very first bird came at me and then made a slow U-turn. As it faced away I dropped it on the water with the first barrel. It did not twitch. It happened to be a blue winged drake, the first of that kind I’ve ever taken. In expected it to float to the edge but it got hung up in a spot of grass right in the middle. Being on my own property in the middle of nowhere I transitioned into a retriever by stripping down and swimming out there. I retrieved to hand like I’d been doing it all my life. My dog would be proud. Now all this obviously disturbed the pond and I didn’t need another duck anyway. I pulled the card on the second barrel, saved the Bismuth and replaced it with lead #8. The next several loads were 7/8 ounce scoop of powder and shot with appropriate wadding. The doves began to fly across my little intersection about 100-yards from the pond where I started. I knocked down a few, but had a heck of a time retrieving one due to the cactus. Not needing many for my intended dish, I quit at 10 shots and 3 birds in hand. The last stop was the brush row. Here I stuck with the 7/8 ounce load but went to 7.5 copper plated shot for the rabbit I was looking for. Side note- I purchased several sized shot and types in 10 pounds bags from Rotometals on-line. Price and shipping were reasonable and they got here quick. I am looking at patterns, effectiveness and variables so I can stay with some go-to loads for different purposes. Anyway, one pass down the brush row made a little buck rabbit step out onto the open dirt sendero. At 15- yards stationery this was no big challenge. I did decide to put the bead between the ears to mitigate any shot in the body. The rabbit rolled and inspection showed a few holes in face and one in neck, so my “aim” point seemed to work. A little less than 3 hours into my first day out in 2-weeks proved pleasant and successful. I enjoyed the simplicity of the whole morning.View attachment 96944View attachment 96945View attachment 96944
So what dish do you have in mind for your mixed bag?

I'm making a tetrazzini medley. It has the dove cooked a certain way, another flavor for duck and rabbit respectively. There are pasta noodles and the sauce is on each item separately on the plate with some on a scoop of the pasta too. The concept is a common palate taste foundation with popping supplemental flavors.

I just took possession of a nice Pedersoli SxS 20 and had it out a few days ago.
What a versatile and fun gun to have and use! A couple of friends were by yesterday drooling over it. :)

wm

I'm making a tetrazzini medley. It has the dove cooked a certain way, another flavor for duck and rabbit respectively. There are pasta noodles and the sauce is on each item separately on the plate with some on a scoop of the pasta too. The concept is a common palate taste foundation with popping supplemental flavors.
That sounds awesome. Will have to remember the idea. I like to make turkey tetrazzini with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving

After being on some restrictions for medical recovery, I got string enough to attempt a quick trek. I wanted some mixed-game for the pot so I loaded up the 20 gauge SXS and set out for a few early morning hours. First loading was 1 ounce of #5 Bismuth shot. I used the same scoop for the Fffg powder. Card wad, cushion wad over shot card. At sunrise I was in a make shift duck blind waiting for teal. The very first bird came at me and then made a slow U-turn. As it faced away I dropped it on the water with the first barrel. It did not twitch. It happened to be a blue winged drake, the first of that kind I’ve ever taken. In expected it to float to the edge but it got hung up in a spot of grass right in the middle. Being on my own property in the middle of nowhere I transitioned into a retriever by stripping down and swimming out there. I retrieved to hand like I’d been doing it all my life. My dog would be proud. Now all this obviously disturbed the pond and I didn’t need another duck anyway. I pulled the card on the second barrel, saved the Bismuth and replaced it with lead #8. The next several loads were 7/8 ounce scoop of powder and shot with appropriate wadding. The doves began to fly across my little intersection about 100-yards from the pond where I started. I knocked down a few, but had a heck of a time retrieving one due to the cactus. Not needing many for my intended dish, I quit at 10 shots and 3 birds in hand. The last stop was the brush row. Here I stuck with the 7/8 ounce load but went to 7.5 copper plated shot for the rabbit I was looking for. Side note- I purchased several sized shot and types in 10 pounds bags from Rotometals on-line. Price and shipping were reasonable and they got here quick. I am looking at patterns, effectiveness and variables so I can stay with some go-to loads for different purposes. Anyway, one pass down the brush row made a little buck rabbit step out onto the open dirt sendero. At 15- yards stationery this was no big challenge. I did decide to put the bead between the ears to mitigate any shot in the body. The rabbit rolled and inspection showed a few holes in face and one in neck, so my “aim” point seemed to work. A little less than 3 hours into my first day out in 2-weeks proved pleasant and successful. I enjoyed the simplicity of the whole morning.View attachment 96944View attachment 96945View attachment 96944
Well done. Thanks for sharing. I wish our hunting season were open. I've got another month. UGH

Latest posts

Back