• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Iron Nitrate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, live and learn. I put it on, blush then sand or scotchbrite it back to even out the darker areas vs. the lighter areas. Some straight grain sections can get really dark. It's strong stuff so don't soak it into the wood in large amounts. The sanding dust from taking it down is pretty acrid so might want to wear a dust mask.

Ok, I applied the second coat Premyln Sealer this morning and the wood brightened up considerably. Looks pretty nice now. What should I do now between successive coats? Steel wool, scotch bright or nothing? Thx…

No. Stripping and sanding is the only way.

Yikes! ... wrong. Do not strip or sand.

Get some maroon scochbrite. The real stuff with abrasive.

Put some mineral spirits in a dish. Use that to "wet sand" the parts you want lighter. The top layer will come off on the pad. Be careful to not break through to white wood on the sharp edges. The wood will appear as finished when wet with mineral sprits and a dollop of finish. Working it back like this will make the grain pop better than any stain alone. The darkest parts will remain dark, the lighter parts will get lighter. When you are happy stop, wipe it down, and let it dry. Be careful not to make any spots blotchy or to light. If you have any spots the are to light after you will need to use a spirit stain to even it out. Chambers, track and Kibler all sell them. Hardware store stains are useless. Let it rest for a day. When dry continue with the finish.

This is how I finish every maple stock. You have not made a mistake.

• Ok, I applied the second coat Premyln Sealer this morning and the wood brightened up considerably. Looks pretty nice now. What should I do now between successive coats? Steel wool, scotch bright or nothing? Thx…
  • Just knock of the buggars with scochbrite or steel wool.

No. Stripping and sanding is the only way.

Yikes! ... wrong. Do not strip or sand.

Get some maroon scochbrite. The real stuff with abrasive.

Put some mineral spirits in a dish. Use that to "wet sand" the parts you want lighter. The top layer will come off on the pad. Be careful to not break through to white wood on the sharp edges. The wood will appear as finished when wet with mineral sprits and a dollop of finish. Working it back like this will make the grain pop better than any stain alone. The darkest parts will remain dark, the lighter parts will get lighter. When you are happy stop, wipe it down, and let it dry. Be careful not to make any spots blotchy or to light. If you have any spots the are to light after you will need to use a spirit stain to even it out. Chambers, track and Kibler all sell them. Hardware store stains are useless. Let it rest for a day. When dry continue with the finish.

This is how I finish every maple stock. You have not made a mistake.

• Ok, I applied the second coat Premyln Sealer this morning and the wood brightened up considerably. Looks pretty nice now. What should I do now between successive coats? Steel wool, scotch bright or nothing? Thx…
  • Just knock of the buggars with scochbrite or steel wool.
Splitting hairs, aren't we?

Stripping vs. Using an abrasive pad and mineral spirits so the top layer will come off.

And a gentle sanding would certainly make the stock lighter. Which is in keeping with the OP's desires.

This place cracks me up sometimes.

No, cutting the surface back leaves finish and stain in the wood pores. Stripping with chemicals or heavy abrasives removes all of that. You can wet sand with say 320 grit paper too. That will do the same thing. I find it harder to control than maroon scochbrite.

I am not looking to dissolve the finish. I want to thin it down to the wood and incrementally remove finish top coat and stain. This technique is common to stock finishers. It has worked with all finishes I have tried.

So Scota, I can lightly scotch bright with mineral spirits after I’ve applied 2 coats of Permalyn? Yes, I would try on my stock. IF it is not giving the effect you want stop and re-assess.

MOst of stock work is cut and try on the final finihs. There are guidelines. Since each piec of wood is a little different you may have to tweak things from stock to stock.

Or, accept each stock is going to be different. That is OK. Wood varies. Trying to force it to me some way takes a lot of experience.

This is a video of what I am trying to get across. Skip to 13 minuets

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back