• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

iron cookware

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nomatter what is cooked in cast iron has a better taste. Dutch oven, frying pan I don't care the flavor is better. Over a nice wood fire adds something to it. If you can't tell I prefere wood over charcoal.

you are correct of course the DO is a 'baker', 'fryer' or a 'roaster' rather than a 'stewer' and will do double-service but has to be cared for more after 'stewing' or 'saucing' with. an 8 qt DO will feed lot of people either way.

horner75 said:
Yes, your right!...They usually are made out of the same material, but seasoning is done for non-sticking purpose's and rust protection. BUT, if you are in the habit of scrubbing out cast iron everytime you use it. You are removing oil and minute food particles from the pores of the cast iron surface. This oil and fine particles is what keeps the food from sticking when baking breads, biscuits pies etc. My point is, that you can use a cast iron dutch oven for a soup or stew pot, but why?

There's just something about a good big pot of chili made in a cast iron dutch oven. Yes, I have tons of expensive "All Clad" cookware including some dutch ovens. The Chili just seems to taste better out of a cast iron dutch oven. It is true that tomato based products do in fact remove some of the seasoning. If your cast iron cookware is seasoned well, apot or two of chili will not harm it. I wipe mine out after use and rinse with hot water and use a soft brush to clean it out, then wwipe it good and dry and then put it on the stove and warm it up and put the Crisco in the can in it, let it melt some and then rub it in good and well, and then I'm done. I've never had a problem!

Many years ago I read Martha Washington held her ironware in such high regard that they were mentioned in her will.I found that many people of that period and later shared this sentiment.I later read studies indicating the use of aluminium pot and pans may be a contributing factor in Alzheimer's disease.Enough for me.I tossed all my aluminium kitchenware and bought a complete set of Lodge ironware.I have used it ever since.Now I'm married and my good wife loves my ironware as well.I did have to educate her though.Once ,as newly weds,I was walking through and looked in the sink.There was one of my iron skillets,thoroughly soaped,scrubbed of all its black and SOAKING in water!Eeee! I have a dutch oven as well.Here in Florida we have had hurricanes and loss of power.A few large bags of Kingsford laid up and a dutch oven is a winning combination.You don't need alot of coals for a meal so the bags really go far!As the others have said,everything tastes better when cooked in iron.Best regards,J.A.

Big Lee,
I absolutely agree! The perfect test is
cornbread.It is at its best in a cast iron
skillet.
snake-eyes :hmm:

My grandmother cleaned her cast iron pans by throwing them in the coal furnace every year or two. In the 30's my father and uncles bought her a new aluminum pan. That did not like being cleaned in the coal furnace.

One more addition season as directed couple times, then switch over to pure beeswax. no rancid smell or taste if left set for a long time. Have been using beeswax for 5 years now and my fry pan can fry an egg dropped in dry and skittle arund like on teflon. Just my 2 cents worth.

Beeswax huh? I've been using cast iron forever and that's a new one on me. I'll have to give it a try. Are you saying that after seasoning/using/cleaning, you just rub it down with beeswax instead of oil?

Apply the beeswax while the pan is still hot and it will suck into the pours just like oil does. Bees have the most sterile environment in the world. As was said, it never goes rancid.
A. Chris Gans

Beeswax melts every time you heat your pan. The coating that is created from the traditional "seasoning" method does not. Beeswax can keep your pan/pot from rusting, but it will not season it.

I season with crisco, and in between coat it with mineral oil while still warm. No rancid smell or taste.
Beeswax :hmm: Will try that on one of my black pots.

Last night I decided to clean all my cast iron. Some that I recently attained was in dire need of it. There was a lot of treefall so I made a big pile and threw in the cast iron.

Well, it sure could have been worse. One of my 10" skillets and my 6" skillet were ruined, but what distressed me the most was the lid to my Dutch oven. Now it no longer sits on flush, but is slightly warped. It's more a deep pot with a handle than a Dutch oven, but my favorite peice of cookware.

Anyway, to the question I have to pose. I called my cousin, a very crafty man, and he had the same idea that occurred to me. Set the lid on top, put a weight on it to press it down, and build a large fire over it. The heat that warped the lid should rewarp it and seat it on the pot properly. Any input from you guys on here, as to if this will work, or if there is another way?

Same here, I season my cast iron cookware with Crisco. I preheat the oven to 350 degrees, put a light coat of Crisco on my cookware and stick it in the oven for one hour. Evertime I'm done using it. I wipe it out heat it back up and apply more Crisco. This stuff is much better than TFall cookware when it comes to non stick. You just can't beat cast iron!!

The competition dutch oven guys will tell you that crisco is the way to go...cooking oil can become sticky and "varnishy" and impart a stale taste, and animal fat/lard can turn rancid FAST if put on too thick or not seasoned correctly.

When storing cast iron with a lid, you should fold a papertowel or roll foil into a pencil-thick piece and use to prop the lid open a little bit for circulation...keeps the inside from rusting and smelling rancid.

There are some websites that show how to use electrolysis (battery charger and baking soda solution, etc) to clean a rusty and garbage looking pot or pan back to its raw iron glory. No pitting or harsh chemicals to worry about.

+1 on the Crisco. That is the great cheater grease for seasoning cast iron pans. It works much better than oil for some reason. It also works much better for fried chicken. This is probably because it is really bad for you :grin:

Latest posts

Back