• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

IPE Wood Ram Rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PALongbow

36 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend of mine manufactures wood arrows for a living. I called him yesterday to talk about ramrods. We are going to turn out some Ipe wood ramrods 3/8 diameter. I am going to get one for my Lyman GPR rifle. Ipe from what I understand is stronger than hickory and has a natural dark brown wood texture that doesn't require a stain. Should be an interesting project. I'll be sure to post pictures.

Does anyone know where to get the brass ramrod fittings?? Are they glued on or tacked??? We were not sure about the fittings and how they are attached.

Ron

pin and glue some may do diff check the muzzle loading links page under suppliers for Log Cabin , Track of the wolf they have what you need

Ron,
Try Track of the Wolf or the Log Cabin Shop websites. My ramrods are pinned. Of course a little epoxy will never hurt...

Ron,

You must be talking about Bill Bonczar. What a great guy. He's made arrows from about every possible wood. All I can suggest, is to do a bend test. Some of those tropical woods have short grain and will break when you least expect it.

Java Man

Bill and I are very good friends. I use Bill's ash & purpleheart arrow woods for my arrows.

Ron

Ron does this friend make any for general sale??
I'd like one for my gpr perhaps even 1 or 2" longer than the oem.
Halfstock

Halfstock,

Bill makes wood arrows for a living. This is just something I have asked him to do on the side. Send me your contact information and when he gets around to making them I'll send you one to try out. My email is [email protected]. I asked him to make me a few to try out. He informed me that they will probably come out at 3/8" diameter and 36" long so that should work for you. I also have a GPR rifle.

Ron

What wood are you using for your ramrods?

Hickory. Is there a second choice? :rotf:

No idea how Ipe might work. I tried ramin for arrows and was disappointed, but in large enough diameters it should work for a rammer. It always sheared of flush at the head. Usually after the first or second impact with a stump. That makes them useless for my style of archery. Cedar lasts MUCH longer.

I have some tulip wood (aka Yellow poplar) that is light and strong and has an absolutely straight grain. Used it to make a tapered mast for a small boat and thought it might merit a test as a rammer or arrow wood. The requirements are similar. Cedar would be horrible as a rammer wood, because when it does split it makes a long, knife-sharp split. Had one break in the bow and skewer my left hand through the web between my thumb and index finger. Ouchie! It's also too soft to hold a pinned tip to try pulling a ball with, IMHO.

Dogwood doesn't split, is flexible and strong, but try finding a piece 42" long or thereabouts. I've made arrows from the shoots and they are the kittie's aft end. :thumbsup:

What makes any rammer better is to split out the wood rather than dowel it to shape. I've never had a hickory rammer from a split fail. I've tossed the ones that had run-out before thay had the opportunity. Unfortunately, I don't know where you can find hickory splits to order, nowadays. Folks found out you could carve self-bows out of hickory staves and the price went through the roof (relatively speaking :haha:

Stumpkiller,

We need to get you shooting ash arrows. I loose more ash arrows than I break. I thought maybe ash would also make for a good ramrod material. Not sure.

BTW my latest custom bow has tulipwood on the front and back limbs overtop a yew core. Tulipwood is very nice looking wood.

Ron

I throw a 31-1/2" arrow. Ash flies like a railroad tie out of my bows. Penetration up the giggie, but no speed. I haven't tried tapering ash. Sounds like too much work, though. :haha:

Back in the 90's when the Port Orford vs. Japan scare was on I was trying everything I could find.

Having to make arrows isn't so bad. I'm addicted to the smell of cedar, and dipping lacquer is just as good as the balsa dope we used to get a buzz off as kids. :grin:

Latest posts

Back