• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inuit Frame

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Met a lady at a Rondy and she had a pack frame she got in an Inuit village in Alaska. Its not PC but she is pretty cool. She wouldnt sell it to save her life, she did how ever let me take pictures and measurements so I could build my own. I chose Oak 1/2 inch and shapped it with rasp and file. Noched all the joints by hand. I did use a little glue to hold it together while I laced and tightened. Sturdy as hell!! Got to get to tandy and get some leather to finish it. Like I said its not PC but ought to serve me well on Treks. First 4 Pics are of hers second 4 are mine.

HPIM1038.jpg

HPIM1039.jpg

HPIM1040.jpg

HPIM1041.jpg

HPIM1231.jpg

HPIM1233.jpg

HPIM1234.jpg

HPIM1235.jpg

Very cool! THe only thing I can see is keeping it adjusted so that it doesn't dig into your back. But I like it. Should be fun!

Very nice - I like it alot. You did a great job.

A couple of observations if I may. The original has about twice as many rawhide "wraps" around the frame as yours does. Having more probably helps keep the wooden frame off your back and makes it more comfortable. Also note that on the side of the frame towards your back, the original keeps the wraps horizontal by notching the frame and angles them on the side away from your back. I think this is because angled wraps will not be as comfortable on your back. Hope that made sense.....

I started with a pack-frame made from mountain maple and lashed all my stuff to it. After a few trips, it has lived in the garage.....and I switched to a small knapsack.

The reality for me was - If I had the space, I would fill it. Led to carrying too much unnecessary stuff.

Great for big/heavy/bulky loads (such as a butchered animal).

Nice craftsmanship!

I've seen several old ones up here, dated by the owners to family in the 1920's and 30's. In their accounts the style dates at least back to the gold rush up here.

Talking to the owners, they pointed out the features Rwolfe discusses and said they were important for use and comfort, just as he suspects. All looked like they had been made by someone who also made snowshoes with almost as many wraps. According to the users, that keeps the frame off your back while giving a slightly springy surface for more comfort.

And heavy loads is right. These folks call them "moose" packs for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of doing another set of wraps. Now ill do it. Im going to try it in 2 weeks on an overnight trek. Just a few miles but should give me an idea about improvements.

Finished it up. I went with rawhide pads. Across the shoulders and small of back. I curled the edges back as it dried so they wouldnt dig in any where. Light, super strong and lots of room up top over the shoulders for my hudson bay. Trying it out on an overnight Trek this weekend. Very comfortable, well see how it is loaded

HPIM1250.jpg

I know this an old post but, what are the measurments of your packboard, is it still in use.
I would like to make one for hauling out elk and deer.

Back