• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last Squirrel Hunt of the Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Next Saturday is the last day of the Minnesota squirrel season, so I decided to take the Virginia Smoothrifle and the dogs and head into the woods since I won't be able to get out again.

My accomplices were:

Kaiah, my 6 1/2 yr old female golden retriever

022115 Squirrel Hunt 9 by fillmorelease

And Bella, my 3 yr old black lab rescued a couple years ago when she had been seriously injured and her owner abandoned her at the vet clinic. She's a sweetheart and a real hunter at heart.

022115 Squirrel Hunt 12 by fillmorelease

After two weeks of pretty cold weather, today was in the 20's, but cloudy with some wind. After walking down the south side of the first ridge seeing nothing I thought perhaps the squirrels were just staying in bed today. Then, as I worked around to the North side, a nice Fox squirrel appeared and the dogs gave chase. The squirrel only went a short ways before launching himself into a huge oak tree where he promptly went way to the top. I could see his tail, but no matter where I went around the tree, I couldn't get a shot.

Then, about 75 yards away, another fox squirrel jumped off a tree trunk running across the snow. The lab took off after it. Apparently the squirrel in my tree thought the danger had left and started to come down. It was not the best decision he made in his life! The Virginia did it's work and I had one nice Fox squirrel on the ground.

The golden and I headed to where I last saw the lab go over the edge of the hill about 100 yards away. I whistled a couple of times and up comes the lab. Then both of them went back over and before I could get to the edge, here they came back and the golden was carrying the Fox squirrel, which she promptly delivered to me! The lab must have chased that squirrel down and killed him "bare toothed!"

I stopped to clean them both. Unfortunately, the front quarters of the one the lab killed were completely crushed, but I salvaged the rest of it.

Kaiah keeps a watchful eye in the trees while Bella continues her search for more:

022115 Squirrel Hunt 2 by fillmorelease

Two nice Fox squirrels....with one shot! :wink: :grin:

022115 Squirrel Hunt 4 by fillmorelease

After cleaning and packing them into my squirrel bag, we moved on. While Kaiah pretty much stayed close to me, Bella worked the woods like a good Pheasant dog working a field for birds.

Suddenly I saw Bella perk up looking over a rise and off she went. When I got to the rise I could see her looking up into a big oak. Then Kaiah took off after something I couldn't see and about 30 yards up the hill from where Bella was. I walked around the area, but could see nothing, so I stood back just a little bit and left the dogs just mill around a while. After a few minutes I saw another big Fox squirrel move around a tree trunk just 20 yards away and half way inbetween the two original locations the dogs had gone. Not sure if it was one squirrel that had gone up the first tree then run across the tops, then Kaiah saw it, or what, but it didn't take me long to draw a bead and put it on the ground.

I spent some more time watching the trees in the area, but nothing else showed up. There were several big hollows in the group, so if there were more squirrels, they more than likely were in their nests.

022115 Squirrel Hunt 8 by fillmorelease

The wind was really picking up strongly out of the Northwest ushering in a new surge of cold air that is supposed to plunge the thermometer to well below zero tonight with -25 to -35 wind chills on Sunday.

We covered another 1/2 mile as I wanted to check on the old farm house on our lease and while we did kick out a rabbit, there was no chance for a shot. I'm sure the escalating winds had put the squirrels back into their warm nests. Rather than go back through the woods, we took the short path back to the jeep: 3/4's of a mile of field road. I had two tuckered pups who slept all the way home!

Two months to my Turkey Season! :thumbsup:

A man, his faithful dogs and a flinter, does it get any better? Thanks for taking on this hunt with you!

:thumbsup: Nice. I gotta see about some snow shoes (cept it seems to have went from 140 inches a year to zero lately?). My son a vet tech and he looking for a good rescue like yers. I believe a good dog needs no training for tree rats, all I have had took to it like ducks to water. Cept two that are gun shy (one is bow shy too :shocked2: :hmm: )

Good dies to take the camera, very nice pics.

Wow, great story, great pics, great dogs and great shooting. You done real good all around. Real nice gun too, by the way.

azmntman said:
:thumbsup: My son a vet tech and he looking for a good rescue like yers.

My daughter is a vet tech and is the business manager of the vet hospital this dog came from. She "innocently" calls me one day saying this dog needed rehabilitation, and since I have a big back yard, could the dog come stay with my wife and me "for a few weeks." Yeah...right...a few weeks. She knew it would come to us and never go back. I knew what she was up to right away. But, we had room in our home and hearts for one more and haven't regretted it a bit. :grin:

That was a wonderful narrative and some great photos of your fur children. I would rather eat squirrel than venison, and I love venison. You have a beautiful firearm too. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story and pics. Them hunting buds of yours sure look happy :hatsoff:. Our season here in Michigan ends Saturday as well. I can't see having an opportunity to get out again though. We can still hunt rabbits till the end of March.

lucky dog,

and the dogs are lucky too, they seem pretty happy in the pics. In NY we got them wee bity grey squirrels. Hard to find one big enough to fit the squirrel molds for taxidermy too.

Nice slender squirrel gun too.

Back