• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Longbow and flintlock bucks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, everyone! I feel very fortunate to own land that not only has been in my family since the 1800's, but also has a plethora of critters to hunt on it. My dad still lives there and works year round to make sure he has food plots and salt out for the deer. Of course, since the place is 75% hardwood timber, they have plenty to eat anyway if the mast crop is good like it is this year.

The longbow I used is a 2-piece takedown "D" style bow made by my good friend, Mike Dunnaway, of Wild Horse Creek Bows. It is 62" long and pulls 54# @ 28". I made the arrows I used out of golden mahogany and tipped them with 190 grain single-bevel Meatheads. My total arrow weight is around 750 grains.

My 50 caliber flintlock rifle is an Isaac Haines design built by my good friend, John Pruitt, in Spring City, TN. It is the first gun that he built for me and it has always been reliable. I have a pretty good deal with ole John. I pick out the parts I want and have them shipped to him. He then carves out a stock, makes a lot of the furniture and assembles the gun. When he's finished, I'll send him a little money and some homemade cookies for his trouble and he sends me a fine primitive weapon. I just got a new turkey gun from him a month ago with the Colerain turkey barrel and now I've got the hankering for a 54 caliber rifle. I guess I need to start saving my pennies for parts and cookie making supplies.

I finished putting away meat two nights ago and I'm probably going to take this weekend off from hunting and spend it with my wife and daughter. However, a cold front is moving in today and it's supposed to be a frosty morning tomorrow. I might slip down behind the house for a little while to see if I can add a fat doe to the freezer too. The pull to hunt is a strong one. I can sleep in and catch up in the summer when there's nothing better to do.

Darren

Congratulations on those fine deer Darren. :hatsoff:

I know Mike as well, he lives not far from me, and he does make an assortment of fine bows. I shoot a Hawk, but only at targets... :(
I envy you guys in Mo. having such a strong deer population .

Enjoyed the write up and pictures..Very Nice!
Love the long bow and flu-flu's for woods walks.
Always great to hear of a fellow hunter with long time land ties. Hope your daughter finds her way into the outdoors.Hunt On!

Back