• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cow elk with .50 percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was invited on a special tag area cow elk hunt. I was blessed to have a friend with some privileges that he shared with me. He chose to use a modern rifle but I wanted to use a muzzleloader of course. He said he was told we'd be walking several miles per day and could be in terrain from open prairie to sloped woods. I picked a light, short rifle that had not been hunted with - it is a Traditions kit 1:48" ROT percussion with some slight modifications. I sighted in with 300 grain REAL type projectiles over 80 grains of FFFg with an impact point 2" high at 80 yards (that's as far as the range was where I sighted-in). After two days I was a little uncertain of this whole thing because we had not seen nor heard and elk. On the morning of day 3 we walked over a little water hole and saw 3 good sized bull elk - but not tag for them. That afternoon, we spotted two elk that appeared to be cows. After 2 hours of stalking they were nowhere to be found. The next morning the guide came into camp as we were finishing breakfast. He said "hurry up, there are 3 cows feeding out of the trees towards the open pasture". My friend went with the guide and was able to make a 200-yards shot with his centerfire, putting the elk down quickly. We took it to camp and worked on her while the guide went scouting again. When he came in after lunch he said he saw tracks that were not there literally 10-minutes ago at one spot. We used a 4-wheeler to get to the area to cut down on the time. After walking a few hundred yards we found the tracks and he told me to follow them. I followed up and down through the trees. After a 20-minute slow-stalk I saw a cow elk looking at me at about 60-yards. I aimed right behind the front leg and shot. The elk went down through the trees towards the open. I reloaded, not knowing where my shot hit but feeling like it was a good shot. Another 50 yards or so there was a drop-off of 5 or 6 feet. I looked for a way down and ended up seeing the elk standing just over the drop with only her head and neck showing. I got close to the edge on an angle where I could see some back and shoulder and I aimed to be high in the shoulder angled downward. At the shot the elk ran towards the open grass. I heard impact but did not see any blood. I reloaded again. I followed foot tracks until the trees ended and the open area started. Suddenly the elk jumped up out of a depression right in front of me and limped quickly about 25 yards before I had the sights settled where I wanted them and a slight lead because she was moving quickly. At that shot she went down and rolled over. I wish I could report a perfect shot and a quick kill but it didn't happen. I am not sure what exactly happened. There was an exit hole in the front of the left shoulder. There was an exit hole under the right arm-pit. I saw a lot of internal damage but I did not find and projectiles and could not decipher any other entry or exit holes. I've had cleaner success with my .54 flintlock and PRB's and wish I would have taken that instead but hey, I wanted to try this rifle.

elk.jpg

Not every shot we take results in a DRT "dead right there" game animal. Sometimes things go amuck. You stayed calm, kept on the track and made meat. Nice going! I'm envious cause elk is delicious.

You did the right thing, for the right reason. You were rewarded for the effort.
Elk is the premium of good meat. Very well done. You have reason to be proud of your kill and your ethics.
We need a lot more hunters like you.... EVERYWHERE.

Sparkitoff,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Excellent persistence and kill to complete the job. Were the heart/lungs hit well and this elk just held on to life tenaciously?

I was given a Lee REAL / Round Ball mold many years ago but it was lost in a disappointing chapter of life. (so was my original T/C 50 & 54 Maxi Hunter molds. Love to have those back) Anyway, a deer or two succumbed to the 320 grain REAL bullet with not complaints. That bullet was the only thing the 1/20 twist the T/C White Mountain Hunter would shoot accurately.
For the inexpensive price of a new mold would you recommend this bullet for medium game, deer, antelope, etc from your experience? I suspect if you were to use one for Elk again it would be a larger caliber. I am thinking of picking one of those molds up for the RB portion and the REAL as a bonus.

Sorry if I missed it, I just thumbed through your thread rather quickly. Did you recover the bullets and what kind of expansion did you get? It does sound like 50 cal. would be adequate for such a large animal.

For whatever reason, with pure lead, this mold throws the REALs at 300 grains to 303.2 grains. I have always seen 320 grain as the weight. I do not know the actual make of the mold these were made from. I did not make them but they were given to me. I did not find a single projectile but only found 2 exit holes. The lungs were perforated and there was a cut on the top of the heart. I did not find any broken bones. The fact that the projectiles exited gives me confidence to state that these are adequate for this sized animal and would be very effective on something smaller like a deer or hog. The shots were taken from inside and up to 60 yards. This one situation is not enough information for me to form a definitive opinion regarding the use of the projectile. I've shot several animals including elk with a .54 PRB and I have had pass-throughs and recovered balls. I use Hornady swaged balls and they have always been recovered flat on one side and around 1.5 times original diameter but I have not gotten the "flat as a pancake double diameter" thing a lot of others report. I've used the PA Conical projectile that is a .50 caliber on deer and hogs and the few recovered show expansion. I've used some other projectiles that we don't talk about. None have stood out for anything particular and all have done what they're supposed to. I like the PRB in .54 for slightly less recoil and slightly flatter trajectory with just as much lethality. If I use the .50 again for elk or something very big I think I'll try some 420 gr No Excuse conicals.

Back