• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interesting video series on Rogers Rangers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.D.

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Ray Mears has a 6 part video series on Roger's St. Francis raid, with some good survival skills illustrated on each vid.

I can't figure out how to embed the vid, so will just post the link.

Link

God bless

Very good series. Thanks for posting that. Check out my powder horn. :)

-Ron

Twin413.jpg

Twin415.jpg

Great videos, Thanks for the link. I like the part where he just happens to find some American Chestnuts on the ground when he is making the johnnycakes. :haha: I have never seen a living chestnut in the woods of New England, though they would have been around when the ST. Francis raid occurred.

A horn with Rogers Rangers on it off topic on a thread about Rogers Rangers? The map on this horn is similar to one they carried. To the left of Lake Michigan it says along the border "Beyond here there be dragons".

It came from Sittingfox. A man named George Turner makes those.

I'd like to get one of those flint firestarters and give it a try. What was that material he was using to spark onto, sounded like charlemain? or something? Between his accent, cheap PC speakers and my hearing, I never could make it out.

-Ron

The strikers he used were ferrocerium, a modern "primitive" way of making fire. They work real well though. The strikers go by other names too, but I don't remember what they are.

Waly World has the same striker embedded into magnesium base. The magnesium is shaved off of the base, then sparks struck into the shavings. Instant "primitive" fire.
http://www.gofastandlight.com/Mode...eel-Magnesium-Fire-Starter/productinfo/SU-K1/

God bless

Last edited by a moderator:
J.D. said:
Ray Mears has a 6 part video series on Roger's St. Francis raid, with some good survival skills illustrated on each vid.

I can't figure out how to embed the vid, so will just post the link.

Link

God bless

JD,
that was great. Thanks for the link!

Mears shows us how to use the flint & steel without charcloth and also using charred wood. He used tinder fungus and burnt campfire wood. It is pretty much as Mike Ameling tried to explain in his posts. But do notice, Mears did NOT use charcloth. That's a whole other story on another posting.

Back