• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interesting Colt Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK2Smoke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a beautiful little Colt Navy which is a bit of a mystery.

It came in what is probably the box it was shipped in, but there is no identification left on the box. Inside however was a note from DGW (Dixie Gun Works) with a new catalog price of $2.00.

The folk at Dixie said it was probably EuroArms and shipped in the 70's but found it strange that there were no markings of any kind on the gun. Said it may have been a 'kit' but still should have proof marks.

From all I can tell the gun is unfired. Everything is tight and perfectly timed so should be no problem to fire it.

I would appreciate any other thoughts on what it might be.

Thanks,

John R.

That is a very nice pistol. No clue who made it but it is solid. The metals finish is very nice. You say it is well timed...
To bad there is no known maker at this time. In the condition it is in and its' age I would say it could be worth a pretty penny.
Mind if I ask what you paid?

I'm almost embarrassed to tell you what I got it for...Got it from a friend who owns a gun store and he let me have it for what he gave the person who brought it in. One crisp $100 bill.

The guy at DGW was pretty sure it was a EuroArms gun, if in fact they sold it back when their catalog sold for two bucks. Just no way to be sure since there are no marks anywhere on it. The brass has a nice patina though due to its age.

Thanks...JR

Sounds like the original owner defarbed it before bluing. :idunno: Looks like you got a heck of a deal. :hatsoff:

From experience, IF it was a Dixie Guns kit gun, the maker stamps the raw frame casting and you loose all the stampings when you file the frame down to it's final size and shape. It would be up to the kit builder to re-stamp the frame if desired.

Probably was all filed off in final finish and assembly. Whoever blued it did a professional job. Looks like really high quality hot-blue type process as the finish is very dark and deep.

I admit...I lucked out. Now I'm debating whether to shoot it. :hmm:

--John R.

I'm not sure it'll bring a substantial amount in the future. I'd say clean it and shoot it. :2

Wes/Tex said:
I'm not sure it'll bring a substantial amount in the future. I'd say clean it and shoot it. :2

I wouldn't discount the pistols worth out of hand. Sure without a proper known maker it will not have a allot of value but it does certainly hold more value than he paid for it.
I do not see any drag marks on the cylinder. The finish is rather nice. As long as the internals are good to go and I suspect they are it has value as a shooter. I bet that the internal stuff is in the same condition as the outside.
If it is a kit gun, the guy who put it together took his time.

Oh yes, I agree. I was thinking that since there's no way to prove it got by the inspectors without marks(and yes it has happened)and since it's obviously been reblued, I can't see it being worth a lot more in the future. It certainly is nice to look at, but does show a couple spots from long term storage and the residue of grease or lubricant of some kind. I feel it should be cleaned and either shot or put up to be admired.

What you have is NOT a brass-framed Navy replica, but rather, a replica of a Schneider & Glassick Confederate revolver which makes it, IMHO, worth quite a bit more than the Garden Variety '51 brasser. The fact that it's defarbed and bears a nice bluing job. Looks like a keeper. Nice score.

You can't let it just be a safe queen!
At least run a few cylinders through it to see how it shoots.

I have been coming back and looking at this pistol a number of times and I am jealous to be honest. :wink:

I considered it possibly a Schneider & Glassick but these are Pietta products and should have complete factory stampings. The finish would be the typical blue tone found on all Pietta products over the last couple decades. While it is certainly possible for a single piece to get by inspectors(yes, I've seen them)but the bluing is definitely not typical of any of the current makers. OK2smokes revolver is very interesting and quite attractive but I don't feel it will prove to be extraordinarily valuable in the future.

In all actuality, it probably IS a kit gun and not having proof or maker marks would not be worth more than a couple hundred, but it is an unusual and well-finished piece and value could climb for the right buyer. I would not hesitate to shoot it.

IMO, for it to be valued any higher than any other new brass frame reproduction one would defenitely have to find the "right buyer".

Very few people collect reproduction Cap & Ball pistols for their potential value.

In fact, the only reproductions that I's aware of that have a "collectors value" are the long out of business Centennial Arms Corp Belgian made Colts and of course the closet queen engraved/plated/cased "limited editions" that have been offered by several companies including Colt.

I guess one could throw the true Colt reproductions they made a few years ago.

Beyond these, missing proof stamps and marks means very little in the C&B world.

Back