• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inherited Cool Rifle But Have No Clue...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad was a big muzzleloader. I inherited this rifle from him and I have no clue what it is or its value. I am thinking of selling it and have no clue where to start. So here I am hoping some of you experienced folk are up to lend a helping hand on what this is and what its worth.

The only markings on it are "W. P. Rush - Fecit" and I can't find a single thing about what this is and who made it. I do know it's a .50 cal but thats it.

Thanks in advance... I'd be happy to post more pics or detailed video if needed, you can also reach me at 773-372-9109

Daniel
It may be that the barrel was "pickled". This is basically boiling bleach and water outside so you don't die from the fumes, and then, after removing the bluing (super simple to do), lowering the barrel (with all holes plugged) into this boiling tray for a few minutes. Then reverse its direction in the tray so that it rusts evenly. Did this with the barrel on my Traditions Pennsylvania longrifle back in about 2004. Gunmaker that I did this with learned it from Hershel House.

The barrel instantaneously turned red with rust. Part of the trick was to get these tiny balls of rust equally concentrated along the entire barrel. He had to fabricate a tray and a burner system to heat the 50% solution of bleach evenly to get those little balls of rust. Absolutely looked like a ruined barrel when we took it out. Let it cool off a bit and then took it over to his grinder and used a wire wheel to knock off the rust balls. We didn't take all the way back to bright, but close to that. Then, once we had the finish where we wanted it, he just oiled it....Done deal. I used it at a LOT of reenactments until I bought my Early Lancaster rifle from "tg" here on the forum.

Here's a look at the pickling on the barrel of my Traditions longrifle. Object was to make it look like it has had at least 20-years of hard use.
PickledBarrel_800x280.jpg

If the bleach mixture doesn't boil evenly, you'll get big divit and small divits. Part of the trick is designing the burner to be able to hold a longrifle barrel and to heat it evenly all the way along the tray. Otherwise it will turn out blotchy. I haven't used this rifle in many years and the barrel has gotten a little darker than the last time I used it.

Anyone have a guesstimate value...??? I have no clue what to ask...

I thought about putting it on gunbroker as an open auction. But I don't know the best way to list it so the right people will find the auction...
The problem with Gunbroker is that it is a crapshoot. It might go high or low. You might check out Armslist also. If you come up with an actual asking price you can always list it right here. Best of luck.

The problem with Gunbroker is that it is a crapshoot. It might go high or low. You might check out Armslist also. If you come up with an actual asking price you can always list it right here. Best of luck.

I know, I rather not use an auction site but if I did I wanted to get an idea so I can at least set a reserve. But if no one can give me one then I don't know how else to sell it. $400 or $4,000... I am guessing its worth no where near $4,000 but you get the point...

Strictly my opinion. Put it on GB with a starting bid of $1k. If it gets traffic your in the ball park. If you don’t it is to high. $1k in the pocket is better than starring at something you don’t want. Put the bid increment at $5. And like russell said, try armslist. Or use this forums classifieds.

Last edited:
Have the guys here give you some good ideas of value and then use the classifieds on this site. Folks are fair and the cost is reasonable. I noticed it has a roller frizzed and appears to have been built with a lot of care. I assume the barrel isn't swamped, meaning it becomes slender in the middle and flairs out as it gets to the muzzle.

Have the guys here give you some good ideas of value and then use the classifieds on this site. Folks are fair and the cost is reasonable. I noticed it has a roller frizzed and appears to have been built with a lot of care. I assume the barrel isn't swamped, meaning it becomes slender in the middle and flairs out as it gets to the muzzle.

Barrel is same thickness all the way to the muzzle...

Apart from the TG mounted too far aft in my opinion, it's a pretty well done contemporary build. As far as value goes, take a look at Track's site as well as others and see what they are pricing things for. I see many rifles there that are priced at $3000 and don't look as nice.

Apart from the TG mounted too far aft in my opinion, it's a pretty well done contemporary build. As far as value goes, take a look at Track's site as well as others and see what they are pricing things for. I see many rifles there that are priced at $3000 and don't look as nice.
In many instances price depends on builders reputation.

Contact Track of the Wolf. They can inspect it and give you a good price range, and get it on a site where just ml watches it. I don’t know what their commission is. They can also provide needed info to the buyer as to barrel condition ect.

If they are closer to you, you could contact the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, OH. They have a gunsmithing service and could make a similar evaluation. They've been around since the '40's, w/ a rock-solid reputation.

Well finally, some guys given you the best advice-contact Track of the Wolf. That is a pretty nice rifle my guess at value would be between$2,000-$4,000. Value has a lot to do with the buyer in this market, so finding the right buyer is the key.

Yep I'm in Vegas... I'll be contacting Track of the Wolf today. I think I may just ship it to them and let them sell it. Kinda sounds like a no brainer considering I am ignorant on ML stuff.

Really appreciate everyones help, I doubt I would have found Track through google researching. This seems like a great community...

It is definitely a contemporary piece not following any particular style but has good lines. The wood is nice and well figured and the inletting and shaping is good. Appears to use quality parts. I would place the value between $900 and $1100 dollars based on what I have seen like quality rifles bring.

I agree that ToTW is going to be a good place to use to sell it. They have an international marketplace to draw on. You don't have to worry about collection from someone "unknown" or what it might cost to ship it to various far off locations a buyer may be.

While there is engraving, there is no carving at all on the rifle. A beautiful piece of wood. The lock mortise is a bit "thick". Straight barrel vs swamped or tapered would reduce the value a bit, IMO, since the balance will probably not be quite as nice. Overall...a very nice piece that anyone would be happy to have in their collection.

I'll place the price you receive in the $1500 range, though I'll bet Track would be able to sell it for more, but they need to make the difference in profit for them (I think I've heard they shoot for 30%). Keep in mind that the prices you see on Track's website are not necessarily the selling price of any gun. I've bought numerous guns via ToTW and have NEVER paid the asking price. A prospective buyer can put in an order for any gun on Track and in the additional notes section of the order, specify their offer (even though the order will come up full price online). Track will review that price offer, which may take a day or so if they have to contact the owner of the gun. In the interim, the gun goes into a "Pending Sale" status on their website. If the offer is accepted, the buyer gets a ship notice. If rejected, the prospective buyer hears NOTHING back from Track...the gun just goes back to being for sale on Track and the order is cancelled, unless the buyer had other things on it they are still buying.

Good luck in the sale.

Latest posts

Back