• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

inexpensive small bore light

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heidi 1672

40 Cal.
Reaction score
In my never ending quest to find a decent bore light,because all the currently manufactured ones are not up to snuff,are touchy and unreliabe and don't fit small bores, I may have found one.Probably many of you have used these before but,I just dumbed on to them a few days ago.The little inch and a half long kid's mini glow sticks in fluorescent green.They fit into the smallest bores and will light it quite well.They last about a half hour and work on big bores as well.You can buy them on ebay for about $5.00 for 200. Thats a lotta bore lightin.

Go to radio shack,buy one led, 8foot of very fine wire and a battery proper for the led, solder on wires and wrap with tape, poke it down the bore ans then fish it out with the wire. almost no cost. Bob

I have a very bright LED gooseneck light with a magnetic base I use for looking at my centerfire rifle, I use it on my ML too. This may not work for everyone, but I find that when I shine the light through the touchhole I get enough illumination to see the bore pretty well. Probably is brighter than the glow-stick (but that's not a bad idea!) This may not work for everyone, however. Someone should manufacture a small LED light that can fit inside a touchhole, I'm sure it can be done with enough illumination to be useful. Either that or somehow create a 45 deg mirror you can drop down the bore and then use a light though the touchhole...just an idea (how whould you line it up?)

Her's the best light I've found. I got it at Dixon's a few years ago. If you take the pocket clip off it measures .250. It comes with two extra batteries too. I gave $15 for it.
The maker is, Coast Products, PO Box 5821, Portland, OR 97228. They have a web site, it's[url] www.coastcutlery.com[/url]
247240578.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The accesory kit that can be bought for the Mini-Mag lite has an attachment that is about a 6" long flexible piece of fiber optic cable about the diameter of a pencil lead...should slide into the vent and curve right up through the patent breech, shining up the bore...thinking about getting one for my GM .40cal

somebody mentioned to me that guys were now using some kind of site pin that goes on them modern bows? anybody heard of that? RC :confused:

I now use an LED flashlight with a flexible neck. It's too large to fit into a .40 cal or smaller bore, but it's bright enough to illuminate the entire bore while holding it an inch or two from the muzzle and looking around the LED head. It uses a single AAA battery and the amount of light put out is amazing. As a rule, people who use the word 'amazing' are flogged around here but in this case it truly applies, LED lights put out an amazing amount of light. I found it online for about $5, including battry.

I have the same gooseneck light that I use, along with a bore light for a .50. Both work well...
Scott

roundball,
If you do, would sure like to hear what you
think of it. I have been using those barrel lites
in my .45 to .54. Always looking for something
better though.
snake-eyes:hatsoff:

Back